Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence Top Menu: Anonymous Issues

Jack March 9, 2021

Like others I was really happy to see the top menu get installed in the Cloud release of Confluence. However it has issues that were not resolved.

When a user is presented with the Confluence window while NOT logged into the software, the menu exposes to anonymous users, information a developer does not want them to have.

1) Here is a list of the menu items that should not be on the menu when logged out:

Page Name (Document Portfolio)
    Home
    Apps
    Templates
    Create

These also gives the anonymous user a false sense that they have access to the application when they really do not.

Confluence Landing Page.jpg

2) "Spaces" should be the only option on the menu so an anonymous user can select a space that is available for anonymous view.

Problem: Leaving the above menu items visible gives an anonymous user or even a competitor for that matter, access to sensitive information. Home, for example provides competitors an insight to what I am working on. Even to the point that they can learn about competitive software applications not yet released as documentation is developed.

3) Left Side Bar should not have the menu items Pages or Archived Pages. Again, they give away development information and distract the focus on content.

4) The Meatballs Menu on right side of page in a logged out state should only contain Export Options for Word and PDF. I would also recommend adding RTF to this list as well, if available. The remaining options must be turned off as they provide development/project information we do not want an anonymous user visiting the site to see.

In all honesty what your development team needs to understand that your application is being used in the real world to deliver content to a specific group of users. Should a specific user need real access to development information then they get a login.

We want our user communities to focus on the content the site provides. Not the development information that is currently exposed. It really is none of their business.

When can these modifications be completed?

1 answer

1 vote
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 10, 2021

Hi @Jack

A lot of good points here, for issues that have been present since Confluence Server.

Perhaps you can use Public Links, which let's you share single pages with a simplified reader UI: https://www.k15t.com/rock-the-docs/publishing/give-basic-online-access

You could also consider my team's app Scroll Viewport, which enables you to publish your Confluence Content to a help center site, avoiding all the issues you presented. No Confluence UI elements are used, and instead, users can navigate your content like they would in any other help center: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211636/scroll-viewport-for-confluence?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Jack March 10, 2021

Hi Matt,

Thank you for responding. Actually, it is Confluence Cloud that is the guilty party. It is true that the meatball menu on Server does expose some development information, but it is the Top Menu bar that is not written properly. Professionally? Had one of my programmers setup the top menu bar in the manner Cloud is setup now? I would have made them go back and do the job right no matter how many times it takes them.

The Atlassian support team claims to me that its currently not possible to modify the top menu. I beg to differ. About +/- a days worth of coding to hide those menu options when logged out that I mentioned and its done. I fully understand the need in scheduling coding projects but given what I have seen of other requests, it could be a very very long-time before this is ever addressed.

Comment.jpg
I will have a look at your Scroll Viewport in the next couple of days but my development staff is not happy with this as well as other missing features that they have used with Server and are asking me to seek other solutions for the Corporation.

I love the Confluence product and have used Server for years. However, I feel that I am fighting and uphill battle just to get missing basics with Cloud. Like numerous others, I also believe it was a mistake to get rid of a sure thing in Server.

Like Matt Reiner _K15t_ likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events