Confluence Attachment size limit

Anastasia Gourina September 25, 2023

Hey guys! 

I'm not sure about you guys, but we have been so excited to hear and see the attachment limit function finally "working." We have been victims of having large files uploaded to our instance for some time now. I wanted to ask a question to the commuinity regarding what the size limit should be?

I know by default it is 100MB. But is that too generous? Who thinks it should be lower? I want to hear what other people have set the attachment limit size to and why it is so  high or low?

Anyone can share some best practices of file management, file storage and how they are using confluence in their company would be welcomed! 

4 answers

2 votes
Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2023

@Anastasia Gourina ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community! 

Well I think its totally upto the Confluence adminstrator to understand the organizational requirements and configure the max limit... 

We have 100MB set as the max limit.. Who knows someone might want to upload a large video file 😅

1 vote
Chris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2023

Images/attachments should be kept as small as possible. 1GB (f.e. 10 pics a 100MB) is not conductive for site performance in general, we have set it to 25MB which is more than enough for dokumentation purposes.

KR

Chris

1 vote
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2023

50MB, we have also reached a consensus among internal users of the enterprise.

First of all, Conflunce attachments are usually word, Excel, PPT, and pictures, which are basically less than 50MB.

Secondly, for videos or files larger than 50MB, it can be solved by compression and cutting.

Thirdly, we believe that Confluence should not be used as a storage tool. Its purpose is collaboration and knowledge sharing. Then large-capacity storage can be achieved using other tools, such as network disks.

Finally, there are many third-party plug-ins and saas services, such as Google Doc, YouTube, etc., which are stored in other services. Confluence may be an alternative.

After all, different plans of Confluence Cloud have capacity limits. If the file is too large, content migration or backup will be costly.

0 votes
Anastasia Gourina September 25, 2023

Agreed! Thank you for sharing!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events