Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you embed a live Excel file in Confluence Cloud?

Alison Milne March 30, 2023

Can you embed a live Excel file in Confluence Cloud?

Can the HTML macro be used to do this?

5 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2023

Hi @Alison Milne

There are two approaches:

• You can use the /excel macro to display an attached Excel file - I haven't worked with that
  • You can use the /link macro to embed an Excel file which is stored in SharePoint
    • When you click on the link in edit mode, you'll probably see the options of displaying the link as:
      • URL
      • Inline
      • Card
        2023-04-02_14h24_24.png
    • Select Inline or Card, then select the link again and chose Embed
      2023-04-02_14h28_31.png
    • The caveat is that Excel and Confluence aren't quite old enough to share their toys yet :eyeroll:, so there's no way to tell Excel which tab of the Excel file you want to see on the Confluence page. Oh well.
Alison Milne April 2, 2023

That's simpler than I thought it would be. Thank you.

Like Kelly Arrey likes this
Andrew Lord November 27, 2023

Hi @Kelly Arrey

I am also interested in the approach you outlined for Embedding Excel in confluence but I appear to be hitting some sort of permissions issues. 

URL, Inline and Link all work fine but as soon as I choose Embed the users including myself are prompted to Log in 

Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 19.07.06.png

The link is to SharePoint with access to anyone within the organisation. We are all logged in when we attempt to open. 

Any ideas on what ii should try next?

Many thanks,

Andy

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2023

@Andrew Lord Hi Andy, beyond my expertise unfortunately. What happens if you click "Sign in"? Perhaps your Confluence admin can help? 

:fingers-crossed:

Kel

Kim Oliver Drechsel January 12, 2024

I got the same issue. Clicking Login opens a login popup, but after login nothing happens, the embedded file still wants you to login to microsoft.

Like Tobias Åhlin likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Sharon Halpin March 31, 2023

@Alison Milne  Another option:  If you're using Power BI, publish the excel spreadsheet to Power BI (Online) and then embed the Power Bi Reports into Confluence Pages via the iFrame macro.

This gives you live data that can be sorted, filtered etc - depending upon the content/format of the data etc.

I'm using this and can highly recommend.  Probably not want you are looking for but maybe something for the future?

I'll look into this. We're introducing Power BI at the moment. This could be very useful.

Sharon Halpin April 2, 2023
0 votes
Answer accepted
Timothée Quesada March 30, 2023

If your Excel is on OneDrive or Sharepoint, you can embed it on a Confluence page. 

Just change the render, not inline, not a card but embed. 

https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/insert-the-microsoft-onedrive-for-business-macro/

Andrew Lord November 27, 2023

The app doesn't work with the new editor. Outdated and ineffective. :-(

3 votes
Katerina Rudkovskaya _Stiltsoft_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 31, 2023

Hi @Alison Milne,

You may try our Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app and its Table Spreadsheet macro.
You’ll be able to import your Excel file into Confluence and then continue working with it right there using all the basic Excel functions.

0 votes
Oki__PolarisOffice_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2023

@Alison Milne 

If you need to add an exel file in the confluence page, Polaris spreadsheet can be a good option. 

Our app, Polaris spreadsheet allows you to embed an existing excel files in a confluence page and directly edit it.
It offers full editing capabilities for excel files and provides an advanced view mode that allows you to use filters, scroll, and find. Please check the details.
A month's free trial is available now! 

Atlassian Marketplace 

Good to know, but not looking to purchase anything at the moment.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events