Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a user who has a disabled confluence account access a space that has 'Anonymous' turned on?

Theresa Reynolds March 30, 2022

On our site user accounts are set to inactive/disabled if user does not log in after 30 days. Are users who have their account disabled able to access a space that has the Anonymous permissions turned on?

2 answers

0 votes
Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 2, 2022

@Theresa Reynolds , Anonymous means anyone on the internet. You are letting confluence be accessed by any one on internet and no authentication at all. Without logging into confluence one can access the content if anonymous access is enabled.

What is an anonymous user?

An anonymous user is anyone who isn’t logged in to your Confluence site. This could be:

• anyone on the internet

• a member of your organization who is not a licensed user of your Confluence instance

• someone who is a licensed user of your Confluence instance, but they aren’t logged in

To restrict them from a page, you can either change its page restrictions or hide it from the page tree.

Thanks,

Srinath T

0 votes
Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2022

Hi @Theresa Reynolds ,

Welcome to Atlassian community. 

The answer is yes. When you make your content available to anonymous users, this means anyone on the internet. The anonymous access feature can’t accommodate sharing with some anonymous people and not others. It’s all or nothing.

I hope above info helps. Have a good day. 

Thanks,

Srinath T

Theresa Reynolds April 1, 2022

Srinath, I noticed this question fell under Cloud but it should be under Data Center. That is the context of my question.  

As a follow on, what is the definition of 'anonymous' according to Confluence?  I though it was people that DO NOT have an account.  Or is it people who are not logged in (even if they have an account). 

If someone has an account but it is in a disabled/inactive state how does that affect Confluence determination of whether they are an 'anonymous' user or not.  

For example, if a user with an account belongs to a group that is NOT in the permissions scheme of a Confluence space which has anonymous turned on, they can not access that space. Anonymous space access permissions does not take precedency/override the user groups access permissions. 

One more question, can pages on an anonymous space be restricted to prevent anonymous user access?

Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
April 2, 2022

@Theresa Reynolds , You can go through this page actually which has all the info. 

I hope above answers your questions. Have a good weekend. 

Thanks,

Srinath T

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events