Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to see users search phrases in Confluence Cloud in Google Analytics and parse it?

Hello folks.

I think everybody who involved with the creating huge contents for clients wants to make the content better and wants to know what are the users really need from your documentation.

We are using Confluence Cloud and provide our internal and public content. Also, we use Google Analytics to see the statistics. Of course just the visits' calculation is not enough we want to know what really users searched.

1. I mentioned that every time when user is searching an information using the web address for search page /wiki/dosearchsite.action?cql=siteSearch

2. When we look into the construction we can identify phrase which user typed if it pressed Enter button when putting the phrase in the sidebar or standard search field

01.png

3. OK. Now we know full web requests with the search phrase.

4. Of course, your Confluence Cloud has to be connected to the Google Analytics plugin. Its free)

5. Open the Google Analytics: Behavior -> Site Content -> All pages -> type in the search field value siteSearch -> and bingo now we can see all web strings with the users' phrases search. Don't forget to set up the period which you need.

02.png

UPD 05.11.2020. As we now Atlassian changed search header. And now if you want to see search requests you have to find combination text=

NewSearch.png

6. Next step we need to do the results to look the pretty view.

7. Set up rows quantity.

03.png

8. Push Export -> choose Excel format.04.png

9. OK. You can automate this using different tools, such as grep, awk, or etc. I did it in Microsoft Excel and Notepad++.

10. In the Excel, you can do different things, such as change the text or split the rows

05.PNG

06.PNG

11. I also used Notepad++ to do mass changes in the text.

07.PNG

12. And finally, go the result. 

08.PNG

Maybe this workaround will be helpful.

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events