cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining (nesting) multiple bodied macros in the new Confluence Cloud editor

Natalie Paramonova _Stiltsoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2019

Hi,

My name is Natalie, I'm a product analyst at StiltSoft. We develop Table Filter and Charts for Confluence.

One of the advantages of our app is its flexibility. Using the variety of combinations of the Table Filter, Pivot Table, Table Transformer and Chart from Table macros our users have the ability to resolve analytical tasks connected with tables (created manually or outputted by built-in Confluence macros).

One of the key use cases is filtering a manually created table or the Jira Issues/Page properties report macros and building a pivot table and a chart based on it.

Unfortunately, the new editing experience in Confluence Cloud doesn't support combining multiple bodied macros.

We receive more and more requests from our users by rolling out new editing experience. We're still working on the handy and simple solution to get the full functionality of the nested macros back.

I start the discussion:

• to find Confluence users who also faced this issue
  • to collect more use cases with other affected macros and apps
  • to share insights and workarounds among community members.

Actually, Atlassian is gathering the impact of this behavior in CONFCLOUD-68323. Together we can collect more useful information about it.

Many thanks for participating! :)

5 comments

Comment

Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2019

Here is a dirty workaround to bypass nested bodied macros limitation:

1. Place nested macro on a different page.
  2. Place the Page Include macro within the parent macro.
Like # people like this
Eileen McEneaney December 13, 2023

Hi All,  I can't seem to get this to work.   Could someone show me how?  Sorry for my low level of knowledge :(

Thank youi!

Kate _izi_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 1, 2019

Another app from StiltSoft is affected too - izi - LMS for Confluence Cloud.

Confluence users use it to create courses and quizzes (tests) for employee and customer training, screening job candidates, onboarding and many other use cases.

Quizzes consist of questions, which are Confluence pages with our nested macros that store answer options. Since the new Confluence editor doesn't support nested macros we faced a huge challenge that breaks the very core functionality of the app - the ability to create quiz questions and take quizzes.

Like # people like this
James Dellow
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2019

I'm only just starting to get my head around this, but I imagine the issue for Atlassian is the ability of the underlying ADF JSON schema (I believe this is based on ProseMirror) to support nesting and then deal with transforming markdown, CXHTML, rich text editor backwards and forth across all platforms...

Natalie Paramonova _Stiltsoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2020

We've released a new Table Toolbox macro that allows you to combine multiple macros included in the app (Table Filter, Pivot Table, Table Transformer, Chart from Table) in the new Cloud editor.

Like # people like this
Taimoor Fayyaz March 16, 2022

I am trying to nest 

Table Toolbox Macro in Table Excerpt macro so I can include that table in multiple pages. So far I haven't been able to do that. 

Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2022

Hi @Taimoor Fayyaz ,

You can nest the Table Excerpt Include macro in the Table Toolbox macro.

The nesting of the Table Toolbox macro inside the Table Excerpt macro is not possible at the moment because these two macros have bodies and can't be wrapped into each other.

Like # people like this
Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2022

Hi @Taimoor Fayyaz ,

We've just released a new version of the Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app with the Table Excerpt macro inside the Table Toolbox macro.

Now you'll be able to create macro' sequences (for example, "source table <- Table Transformer <- Table Filter <- Pivot Table") and reuse the result table.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events