What's New in Confluence Cloud – January 2020 Edition

122 comments

cruel January 21, 2020

Cool Story. What about Single Layouts?

Like # people like this
Mark Hudson January 21, 2020

No mention of the ```/{code} macro no longer has a title option.

Like Allan Ortiz likes this
John Tolle January 21, 2020

Wow, that video is a good example of a definite bug in the image implementation.  Atlassian folks, is there an existing issue for this?  If not, what is the best way for @Kevin Hill to report this bug?

How about @Pahniti Tosuksri and his linkable image request?  There just has to be an existing bug for that.

I tried hunting down appropriate Jira issues for Confluence Cloud and was unable to, but perhaps someone else can find the right terms to use:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-2648?jql=text%20~%20%22image%22%20and%20text%20~%20%22link%22%20and%20project%3D%22Confluence%20Cloud%22%20

Sue Wright January 21, 2020

Looks like the status macro is no longer working for our site. How do we get it turned back on?

Ira Chandler January 21, 2020

Great that we have a new editor.

Too bad the five year old issue with Tables of Contents NOT displaying in a page presented by Jira Service Desk is still being ignored.

You would think they could fix EXISTING ISSUES first...

Like James Lamb likes this
James Lamb January 21, 2020

I'm glad you deleted my comment, it finally stopped the flood of emails telling me someone had clicked like just because I was asking for the option to expand-all before printing or exporting to PDF.

Like # people like this
James Lamb January 21, 2020

@Ira Chandler - nah, building new stuff is always more fun than fixing old stuff. 

Like # people like this
Liam Q January 21, 2020

Does anyone have recommendations for a replacement to Confluence for a simple to edit and flexible intranet wiki?

Like # people like this
Jaime Mendoza-Williams January 21, 2020

I love the expand feature!!! 

Like Jessica Taylor likes this
Matthew Holmes January 21, 2020

Just impressed Atlassian went an entire update without feeling the need to remove useful features. Bold, Italics and Underline are next to go I presume?

Like # people like this
Tom Crowley January 21, 2020

@Liam Q I hear good things about MKdocs. Never used it myself, but I know of people who have moved to it from Confluence.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 21, 2020
Mr Jernberg January 22, 2020

Epic!

Like # people like this
Kenneth Sarita January 22, 2020

Thanks for the update! The info about the expand function is super helpful.

Like # people like this
Richard Bolam January 22, 2020

Hi when will we be able to set images as links? I think this was possible historically but the functionality was lost. 

Like # people like this
Thomas Richter-Trummer January 22, 2020

Our team has a very hard time with the "new" editor. Its a no-go that we can't add images next to each other any more. I just hope that the old editor stays as along as all features are done for the new editor. Atlassian should look at large confluence spaces of their loyal costumers then they would see they don't need to trivialize things, it used to be a production tool for professionals.

Its also very frustrating to see so many essential but trivial features such as "Admin View" and "Copy Permissions" go to premium.

Like # people like this
Tommye Silva January 22, 2020

Great Update!

But I am still waiting for files presentation like to link because it's so big the component now and my page it's so expanded;

Like Ira Chandler likes this
Tom Crowley January 22, 2020

@Jessica Taylor You just don't seem to grasp that you've removed a lot of features from a lot of different user types. It's not like you've just removed one chunk of functionality that affects a single user set that oh well, boo-hoo, sorry, go somewhere else. That would be understandable, although still not necessarily acceptable, because it would indicate a clear directional shift in the software. "We used to do X, now we do Y. If you use us to do X, well, that's a shame. Good luck with the migration." It would be a real crappy move, but it is purposeful and shows intent. 

What you've done is just pare down a lot of features so that only the most basic of users are unaffected in some way (you've ruined image handling, for example - it's got to be a pretty basic page that isn't affected by that). There doesn't appear to be any direction for the software other than vague "improvements".

And instead of interacting with people on here, you just put a notification on our actual Confluence instance to lure us here so you can boast about your one and a half updates for non-premium users (hence the sudden resurgence in commenting).

Like # people like this
Kelvin Hill January 22, 2020

I submitted a bug report yesterday about how it is possible to insert a Code Snippet macro into a panel macro (Info, Note, Success, Error, Warning), but only if you embed it within a list within the panel. If you attempt to add a Code Snippet macro directly into the panel (without a list), it simply drops below the panel. Since lists and Code Snippets are unrelated, that must be either a bug or an oversight, so I reported it. My guess is that the developers were specifically asked to include support for Code Snippets within lists within panels, and no one considered any other scenario.

What suprised me, however, was that the support person responded to my ticket and simply advised me that Code Snippets are only supported in panels when they are are inserted into a list sitting within the panel. To me, that's like saying you can only sit on a chair if it has a cushion on it. If there's no cushion, you can't sit on the chair.

I want to laugh, but I just can't.

Like # people like this
erivera January 22, 2020

Nice!!

Like # people like this
Marcelo Paredes January 23, 2020

so what about the (missing) mac app? 

Like Ira Chandler likes this
Dennis T January 27, 2020

@Jonno Katahanas@Jessica Taylor I have been nesting the Expand macro inside tables since 2017. Am I missing something?

On a positive note, the walk-through GIFs are great as always.

Thanks.

Jessica Taylor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2020

Hi all - I'm addressing some of your specific questions about this month's post:

@Pahniti Tosuksri @Richard Bolam - The ability to add links to images is coming soon! We're already testing it internally before we release it more broadly. Please track https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-65640?_ga=2.149374835.43643452.1580161634-945426334.1525714588 for updates.

@cruel - We don't have single layouts in our plans at the moment. We do plan to make it easier to move around layouts since we understand that it's a big part of staying productive while still laying out your content the way you want to. Please track https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67648?_ga=2.253764557.43643452.1580161634-945426334.1525714588 to stay in the know.

@Sue Wright - Status in the new editor is no longer a macro but rather an inline element instead of the previous status macro. You can use it by either typing "/status" into the page anywhere or by going in the top menu to the + and choosing status to insert.

Cheers,

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 28, 2020
Kelvin Hill January 28, 2020

I'd also like to harp on about an issue I've already raised several times for which I have failed to get any traction at all.

Everyone who exports pages to PDF will eventually face an insurmountable problem with the new editor. Why? Because new-editor content is pre-processed before being sent to the PDF-export engine, and we have no visibility of the resulting HTML tags, classes, and IDs being sent for conversion to PDF.

That is a significant issue because no one can customise a page element unless they know its HTML/classes/IDs. The new editor translates some elements to equivalents used in the legacy editor (for which we already know the HTML tags or can identify them by viewing the page source); however, for elements for which there is no legacy-editor equivalent (e.g., the new-editor Note Panel), we have no way of identifying what tags, classes, or IDs to use in the PDF stylesheet to customise it.

The only way around this problem is for Atlassian to provide some means of reporting the HTML being sent by the new editor to the PDF-export engine (after it has been pushed through whatever conversion process is now used). This isn't a huge ask; after all, a process is already in place to convert the page content and feed it to the PDF-export engine. All we need is a link to display the content (i.e., an export-to-PDF style option that displays the source to screen rather than sending it to the engine). We could then harvest all the tags, classes, and IDs necessary for customisation from that.

I have submitted a suggestion, here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-69211, but who will ever find that? No one.

If you export anything to PDF, please vote for that issue. Chances are, it will be ignored, but what alternatives do we have?

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events