Solving WTF moments in Confluence: Improvements to lists have arrived

We heard from your 30+ feedback tickets (we do read all your feedback, I promise!) and experienced for ourselves some less-than-ideal and sometimes downright painful formatting issues with bulleted and numbered lists. We call them “WTF moments”.

So my team and I set out to fix them. We completely rebuilt lists so they function more reliably and predictably. The rebuild also enables us to ship future list functionality more easily going forward.

We fixed a lot! Here are just some of the annoying little things we improved based on what you told us:

Copying & Pasting Lists

Remember when you pasted a list into an info panel or other macro, it would paste outside the box….or remove the box altogether…for some reason….? Well, we fixed that.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (16).gif

Nested Lists

We adjusted things so you no longer get inconsistencies with sub-bullets and numbering like the example below. If you want bullets, you get bullets. If you want numbers, you get numbers. Duh.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (17).gif

Indenting (& Outdenting)

There used to be wonkiness (yes, that is the technical term) when indenting or outdenting a portion of a list. It was unpredictable, like your Crazy Aunt Karen. Now, it’s fixed. Whatever section you highlight will be the only section that will move.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (18).gif 

Keyboard Shortcuts for Lists

“Why waste time say lot word when few word do trick?” - Kevin Malone, The (American) Office. We agree Kevin. Keyboard shortcuts now work in nested lists where they didn’t before.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (19).gif 

Converting List Types

It used to be frustrating to figure out how to convert an entire list! Well, now it’s much more logical and straightforward.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (20).gif

Lists with Media

Who doesn’t need an entire LIST of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air photos? I don’t want to live in that kind of a world. And now you don’t have to either. Image, videos, emojis, can all be converted to lists now.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (21).gif

Forwards Delete

Did you ever experience weirdness with a forwards delete? Well, weirdness be gone. A forwards delete for the paragraph above will not mess with your list. For Mac users, this also means that Cmd + Delete now works with lists for a Forward Delete.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (22).gif

We hope these fixes make using lists a little easier and more enjoyable.

But don’t worry, we’re not stopping there. Next up on our list (pun intended) is adding Undo/Redo buttons to the editor bar, and improvements to undo/redo behaviour.

- Rachel Crossman, Product Manager

5 comments

Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 3, 2021

🎉... For Confluence... AND all this goodness comes to Jira as well! 

Like # people like this
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2021

Nice way of presenting changes (before/after gifs) :) .. Yeah! Do not stop here.. Keep up the good work!

Like # people like this
Pratima
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 3, 2021

This is amazing, reading this made my day. Thank you! 

Like # people like this
Maurice Pasman February 3, 2021

You fixed some bugs, and expect applause?

The fact that you are getting it, speaks volumes.

Like # people like this
Nicholas Wade April 27, 2022

So these got fixed (partially) after 30+ feedback ticks while other tickets with 2-300 ticks remain unresolved?  go figure...

Like Claire Townend likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events