Shortcut is King - the power of a Slash.

When I use a particular app, I am either adopting all the possible shortcuts or live by a sound of a thousand clicks at a time. The middle is for the weak!

My Team is using both Cloud and Server Confluence, and the ratio is something like 20:80%. So it's understandable not to know all the useful shortcuts, but enough to master the few of them which you waited all your life.

The slash.

THE SLASH.

shortcut-king.jpg

Thanks to the great mastermind who suggested this feature, I owe him at least two beers! If you need something quick - slash! If you can't remember what you need - slash! 😍 No need to say that the first six items are usually the most used/useful ones.

slash.png

The other favorite shortcut may sound curious - it's the Decision one. Quite often, we have to discuss and decide different types of Marketing creations - messaging, vision, blog title, images, design direction, etc. We are creating a million versions for each task while searching for the proper one, and having bullets, numbered lists, tables, whatever you can imagine. Final, Final03, FinalFinalx5 are constant guests in our Confluence pages. But not in Cloud. (smile)

With the Decision panel, we could easily mark our real-final, and ready to go live, work. 

decision.png

Date, Macros, and Mentions are also big stars at our daily Confluence usage, but I am sure you are all familiar with them. No man can survive without the basics.

So:

Stay Calm and Enjoy Shortcuts 😎

Shout-out for the epic cat cartoon made by The Oatmeal.

7 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2020

Slash commands are fantastic.  I ran into them <mumble> years ago when writing on operating systems that died years ago despite being more advanced than Windows 10, and have appreciated them ever since.  Especially when I landed in a place that essentially developed, supported, and improved one of the biggest web sites in the world on a combination of Jira, Confluence and IRC (pre Hipchat before you ask)

Like # people like this
Jessica
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 31, 2020

I feel the same! 

Like # people like this
Bob Sovers February 5, 2020

My biggest beaf about shortcuts (Primarily in Confluence Cloud) is that they are so poorly documented, or even inoperable.   And the / is one that doesn't match functionality with the Server (where the "{" key opens the macro menu) 

If you have users who have to work on both Confluence Server and Confluence Cloud, then there is very little short-cut commonality, especially while editing.

For more info, see: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-66530

In that task, I asked "Is there somewhere where ALL keyboard shortcuts are documented?"... I have yet to receive an answer to that question.

Sebastien Jacques
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2020

@Bob Sovers , like most web applications the '?' key will pop-up a list of keyboard shortcuts.

Bob Sovers February 18, 2020

Yes, I know that ? will pop-up a list of some of the keyboard shortcuts.   I am still looking for a complete list of all keyboard shortcuts that Confluence Cloud enables. 

I find it very strange that nobody at Atlassian seems to know what all of the keyboard shortcuts are.  To me this is the first indication that they might not all work, especially if the QA team is never given a full list of what to test.   If this is a company secret, then the documentation is going to suffer even more!

Alex Gibbs May 3, 2022

These are also enabled in Jira Software for the web and are a problem because software and IT people often need to type paths that start with "/".  For example, if I type /data followed by a space I end up with today's date instead of "/data ".  Note that I typed /data not /date.  Is there a way to disable the / shortcuts?  Thanks.

Zeno January 21, 2024

It'd be nice if we could create our own slash commands

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events