Improving your Confluence Productivity: Features I Wished I Had Earlier

With this article, I’m opening a page to a new Chapter. I returned to working in the Atlassian Ecosystem, and I’m even happier to have a company Confluence instance (again)! 💙

Being a long-time user of Confluence Server & Data Center, I was excited to find we are using the Cloud version of the product. Hello, new layout, hello new features!

And since November is all about Confluence tips, I’ll share not only my favorite tips but features I missed badly in my previous experience.

💡 Tip: If you plan on creating a fresh new Space, write down your sample page structure on a piece of paper. Having the tree in mind will not only save time but spare you some precious minutes of reordering the pages after.

🤩 A feature I wished I haddrag-and-drop reorder of the Page Tree is a feature I can’t even start explaining. It saves you a tremendous amount of time if you already have a structure and need a quick and effective reorder.

💡 Tip: Once you’ve developed your sample page structure, see if it has repeatable elements, like primary and child pages. You can create the initial parent-child piece and then duplicate and rename it until you build the entire tree.

🤩 A feature I wished I had: copy parent-child pages with their entire content, including links and attachments. How many times have you had to reupload your missing image attachments in Server & DC? Don’t ask me back, please.

💡 Tip: Always rename your pages after bulk copy. A few extra seconds prevent a lot of mess.

🤩 A feature I wished I had: rename on the fly. To me, renaming while duplicating an entire page block is a dream come true.

copy-page-rename-02.jpg

On Confluence Cloud, you can quickly and effectively rename your set of new pages. Just write your desired fragment and its replacement, and get yourself a coffee while trying to estimate the saved clicks and edits.

copy-page-rename.jpg 

💡 Tip: Organize your sidebar smart. It’s the primary navigation of your collaborators and users, so try to keep it organized from the beginning. Opposite from the previous case, expanding a few page trees is better than scrolling an endless sidebar list.

🤩 A feature I wished I had: Quick actions like Edit, Rename, Move and Copy. Sometimes I create an insane amount of pages. And sometimes there is a nasty minor typo, looking me back from the sidebar. Having the option to rename it without even opening the page is a true blessing.

copy-page-quick-edit.jpg

That said, thank you, Confluence Team, for improving our experience and productivity! I can’t wait to try what’s coming next!

4 comments

Maurice Pasman November 15, 2021

Waiting for your next article: Features I Had But Are Now Removed From The New Editor...

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2021

Sad but true @Maurice Pasman 😢

Like Maurice Pasman likes this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2022

@Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ I just came across a number of your I ❤ Confluence posts and really enjoyed reading about your love affair with all things Confluence! It is reflective of my own experiences and I just needed to say thank you for sharing!

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

Thank you, @Andy Gladstone; what an excellent way to start my week! I'm glad you like the posts and even more glad to meet another partner in the Confluence crime :) 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events