Enhancements that help you edit (and organize)

Hi Community!

We’ve made a few updates to your editing experience that we think will help keep your work (and your team) organized. Some of these may look familiar, as they were in the old editor, and some are brand new!

Find & Replace

Find & replace is a quick way for you to swap a word or phrase with a new one. When editing a page, just click the magnifying glass. Type the word or phrase you no longer want to use and below, add the new word or phrase. All the places where the old word appears will be highlighted. You can replace the word just one time or replace every time that word appears on that page by clicking “Replace all”.

find & replace.gif

Copy & Paste Layouts, Info Panels, and Code Snippets

The highly requested functionality to select an entire layout, info panel, or code snippet is back! Copy (or cut) and paste that selected macro anywhere on the page. Simply select the area by clicking the bottom right corner until the whole macro is selected. Copy and paste anywhere else on that page– or on a totally different page!

If you login right now, you can copy & paste for layouts and info panels. Code snippets are coming shortly! It’ll be available to everyone by the end of June. Check out the GIF for an example.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

“Sticky headers” for tables

Large tables on your Confluence pages will now be easier to read! When your table’s quantity of rows or columns expands beyond the view pane, don’t fear – the head column and/or row will stay put as you scroll. This will help with the readability of tables so you constantly know what the value of any cell is. Don’t see them yet? You’ll experience them in the next few weeks!

sticky table headers.gif

Indented actions

Building a list of to-dos with subtasks? Now action items can be indented. They will act like bullets where you can be a hierarchical structure to know which tasks are nested under others. It’s a helpful way to organize your team’s responsibilities. Keep an eye out for this mid to late June.

72038e37-c89d-4517-bb21-1217c2c1e277.png

Link Labels for Drafted & Archived Pages

Have you ever linked to a page and not realized that it was actually unpublished? Well, now we will notify you! If you add a link to a Confluence page that is either sitting in “draft” mode or has been “archived”, a label will automatically appear next to that link.

As soon as a draft page is published or an archived page is restored, the label will disappear.

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 9.48.34 AM.png

We hope these little improvements help you do your best work and stay organized. More enhancements are on the way, so stayed tuned.

Cheers!

27 comments

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2020

Great!

But can you please address the issue of Tasks being able allocated to multiple people/permission level

Like # people like this
rod June 9, 2020

Happy to see that work is done to reduce the gap between the old and the new editor!

Like # people like this
ingrid.berendt June 9, 2020

Really REALLY excited to see the sticky table headers in action!

Like # people like this
Brittany Sudlow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 9, 2020

@Rodney Hughes We have received this suggestion and the team is evaluating. Thank you!

Like Deleted user likes this
Meagan de Bono June 9, 2020

Can I suggest page improvement; that when viewing a comment on a page, then selecting edit that the page loads at the comment point? ie it doesn’t load to the top of the page once edit is selected? 

Like # people like this
Alvise Z_ June 9, 2020

Cool! Any plans on bringing back expand + code block in tables though? 😰

Like # people like this
Hein Stegmann June 10, 2020

Can you make /status remember previous /statuses that are on that page ; i.e. after creating one status label (e.g. "Approved") you can select it from a list after choosing the /status macro, instead of having to type the status label over and over everywhere on the page?

Like # people like this
Joscha Storz June 10, 2020

@Meagan de Bono : Great suggestion. In the past you used to be able to mark any text of a page then hit "e" (for edit) and it would jump to where you had highlighted. Sadly this seems to not work anymore (also with old editor style pages). @atlassian team it would be great if you could combine those features.

Like # people like this
Joscha Storz June 10, 2020

And huge thanks for the Indented actions. Having lost that function is the reason why I, instead of creating new pages with the new editor, keep copying old style pages. It is so much more efficient to keep the tasks within the context of discussion protocols etc.

Like # people like this
Jon R June 10, 2020

Thank you for restoring some of the lost functionality.  All of the above are pretty essential, especially sticky headers.

Like # people like this
Shanon June 10, 2020

Thank you so much for continuously improving your products! This is why we love Atlassian! I was testing out these new features listed above, however none were "in-action" yet and all were currently unavailable... when will these features be rolled out to everyone? We are eager to use these awesome new features!

Like # people like this
Alex DiFabio June 11, 2020

Thanks for the updates. What's up with tabs and horizontal navigation? Where'd they go?? Also struggling with the layouts functionality. No ability to move sections up and down as you could before and I don't really understand the benefit of expanding/narrowing page width.

Like Brittany Sudlow likes this
Brittany Sudlow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2020

@Alex DiFabio The expanding page width for layouts is just a visual thing -- would you rather have long text spread further horizontally or stack on itself vertically. I'm not sure what you move by move sections up and down? 

The navigation got an upgrade. Here is an article with more details! 

Brittany Sudlow
Atlassian Team
June 11, 2020

@Shanon We do a rollout process that takes a few weeks to a few months (for bigger features) to ensure nothing breaks and we resolve any feedback quickly. These should all be coming to you within a few weeks! Date estimations are listed in the article for those currently rolling out.

Like # people like this
Alex DiFabio June 12, 2020

@Brittany Sudlowpreviously, when editing a page and selecting the layouts menu, there were the options to move sections up and down. See below:

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 8.21.55 AM.png

It's a minor thing, but useful. I'll take a look at the release doc. I'm sure that'll help.

The main issue for me with the new design is the lack of tabs/containers and the lack of the horizontal navigation bar. I used those all the time to organize content.

Andy Webb June 22, 2020

I'm still with the old editor because of the ability to actually indent instead of tab and the choice of colors in highlighting info.  There are some other reasons, but those are the biggest ones with the ability to indent being far the biggest.

Like Jon R likes this
Sam McKenzie June 22, 2020

Where did Atlassian Companion go? We are using the old editing experience just to have that feature, but then miss out on the new functionality of the new editor.

David Davis June 23, 2020

I'm still annoyed that the new editor broke all the 'anchor' macros. 

Like # people like this
Brittany Sudlow
Atlassian Team
June 23, 2020

@David Davis here is an article on linking that you might find useful.

Brittany Sudlow
Atlassian Team
June 24, 2020

@Sam McKenzie Check out this article to see how to use Companion in both the new and old editor.

Bob Sovers June 26, 2020

2 simple questions:

1. How do you create a DRAFT page?
  2. Can you mark an existing page as DRAFT?
Brittany Sudlow
Atlassian Team
June 26, 2020

@Bob Sovers Any time you create a new page or work on an existing page, if you make changes but don't hit "Publish", it will be in draft mode. Just click the close button. You can go back to this draft on your home page or Recent dropdown. 

Confluence will not mark a page for you as a Draft. A common best practice is adding an "Info Panel" at the top of the page and writing that it is a draft -- publish that so everyone can see and then you can continue to work on the page, unpublished as it's a WIP.

Adam Kruszynski June 27, 2020

thanks for sticky headers

Ellen Geohegan June 27, 2020

My use case: make a page with Customers and some details about them. Link to the Services the customers have purchased on a page that has all the services listed. Service listing has  descriptions of services for different audiences, date the service is available for use, and a few other details.

Since I can't have more than 3 columns to a layout, I must use a table for the services. Since I can't anchor to text, I must link to a heading. Since I can't link to headings in tables, my entire design is hosed.

Help?

Like Dennis T likes this
Julia _ 55 Degrees
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 20, 2020

My biggest issue is with image sizing. The new way is unusable for me and I'm forced to copy old pages with the old editor. When that stops being possible I'll have to do my documentation elsewhere because sizing of images is really key to that.

Like Dennis T likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events