Embed Figma files on Confluence pages with Smart Links

Have you used the new Smart Links yet? They give you the option to display a link with more information. Currently Smart Links support inline and card view for Confluence links, Jira, and Jira Roadmaps, Bitbucket, Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Asana and Github.

And now Smart Links also work for Figma links!

To add a Figma Smart Link, simply paste the link on the page or type /link to insert. The first time you do this, you’ll be prompted to connect your Confluence account to your Figma account. Now that you’re connected you can toggle the view by clicking on the link, then clicking “Display as link” to pick your preference.

Note: this is currently rolling out so you may see it yet, but you will in the coming weeks.

Smart Link Inline Figma.png

Smart Link Card Figma.png

What’s extra special about Figma is that you can display a link as a completely embedded view so it feels like one with the page! No need to ever leave your workflow or keyboard to get the full picture of all your work.

Smart Link Embed Figma.png

We’re not stopping here so keep an eye out on more updates to come with Smart Links!

30 comments

David Bond August 4, 2020

Really looking forward to this. Has it fully rolled out? Smart links work for all other connected apps, but Figma links don't seem to work for me and just show as traditional links. 

Like # people like this
Brittany Sudlow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2020

@David Bond good question -- it's currently rolling out so give it a few weeks and you should see it! 

Like # people like this
Bill Hoo August 4, 2020

Really useful when integrated with Figma in Cloud, currently we're using iFrame but its too complex to maintain, every time we need to add an iFrame and fill in the parameters, a little waste of time, big thanks for this enhancement. BTW does it also support in Confluence Server?

Like Brittany Sudlow likes this
Brittany Sudlow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2020

Glad to hear @Bill HooThis feature is only available in Confluence Cloud.

Bill Hoo August 4, 2020

Got it, in case we're not seeing it, some questions just for curious:

1. does it support Figma prototype link and could it let people try prototypes just in the Confluence page like iFrame did before?
  2. can we now center the card (display in card view) horizontally in the page? cos' when using iFrame its not possible, we need to adjust the width manually to make it "looks" centered but its actually not.
ronny.ilaya August 6, 2020

While viewing the confluence page, can we post comments on the figma embed with our figma accounts without leaving the page?

Like Tom Williams likes this
Boaz Katz August 11, 2020

Looks great and useful, anyway to change the card fields? for example , would like to see the story points  or Original estimates in days etc 

Mikko Badua August 18, 2020

Has this feature been fully rolled out everywhere? I have Confluence Cloud, but when I simply paste a Figma link, nothing happens. I don't get prompted to connect accounts and don't get the embed option. 

Like Trygve Bernhardt likes this
Brittany Sudlow
Atlassian Team
August 19, 2020

@Mikko Badua it's still rolling out to cohorts. It should reach everyone within 3 weeks time!

Rico Monteiro August 31, 2020

Still waiting on this.

David Bond September 17, 2020

Hi @Brittany Sudlow -- is this feature still rolling out to the various cohorts? I'm still not able to use Figma smart links yet. I'm super excited about this feature as I think it will really speed up the documentation workflow for our team. Thanks!

Like Charles Frumerie likes this
Brittany Sudlow
Atlassian Team
September 17, 2020

Hi @Rico Monteiro and @David Bond and everyone else! Sorry for the delay! Took a little longer to rollout than we planned. You should be seeing it by end of next week!

Like # people like this
Stephan Kardos October 22, 2020

Hey @Brittany Sudlow 

I wonder about some details here. I can use the smart links with Figma and use display emebed (since I connected it to my Figma account).

What if a team member without a Figma account want to view that display embed? Is there a way to make it visible to non-Figma users? Currently it seems that using this feature company wide requires everyone to have a Figma account.

ThxFigma.png

Brittany Sudlow
Atlassian Team
October 22, 2020

@Stephan Kardos great question. If a user doesn't have a Figma account they wouldn't be able to see the artboard because we are aligned with Figma's viewing permissions. In other words, if a Figma board is public, then anyone will be able to see the board within Figma or a Confluence page. Hopefully, that makes sense. 

Like Stephan Kardos likes this
Stephan Kardos October 22, 2020

Thanks @Brittany Sudlow 

That makes sense. Just to get it right, a public setting on Figma's viewing permission should enable anyone to see the board on a Confluence page's smart link (display embed) - even if that person does not have a Figma account, correct?

BUT (comment update): my colleague still wasn't able to see the embed despite the public setting. Are you sure this is all it takes Brittany?

Also with "public" you mean this "anyone with the link" figma-setting, right?

THX

Link.png

Jeremy Hulette November 6, 2020

@Brittany Sudlow is there a way to confirm if Figma Smart Links have been enabled for our instance of Confluence Cloud? I still do not see this interface when pasting Figma links.

Jeremy Hulette November 13, 2020

hi @Brittany Sudlow  , still waiting on an answer, we don't have the figma live link feature on our Confluence Cloud instance.

thanks,

jeremy

Brittany Sudlow
Atlassian Team
November 16, 2020

@Jeremy Hulette Even with Figma links that have public permissions, we require a user to have an account. These are technical limitations we’re working through. We are doing work to enable Figma links with public permissions to work for anyone without an account.

Jeremy Hulette November 16, 2020

Thanks @Brittany Sudlow – I do have an account, but I am not prompted anywhere to connect my Figma account to my Confluence account. Is there a guide for managing this?

Jeremy Hulette November 17, 2020

Hey, good news, the prompt to connect my account finally appeared this morning when I tried again. No idea why, nothing changed on our side, but all good now. Thanks!

Like Brittany Sudlow likes this
Niels Jongerden February 1, 2021

Hi @Brittany Sudlow I would like to know if there is any progress on the possibility to view public Figma files in Confluence with Smart Links without having an Figma account. This feature would be a big improvement for our team. Thanks! 

Like ronny.ilaya likes this
Jonno Katahanas
Atlassian Team
February 2, 2021

Hey @Niels Jongerden ! Atlassian PM here. We plan to support public Figma files in the near future. We don't have an exact timeline yet to share. We'll put out some comms when it happens :) 

Like # people like this
Stephanie Chen April 29, 2021

Hi @Jonno Katahanas, I was wondering this feature has been changed recently. It used to work, but now when I add a Figma URL, Display card and Display embed are both disabled; I can only select Display URL or Display inline. Thank you!

Jonno Katahanas
Atlassian Team
May 2, 2021

Hey @Step! Thanks for reaching out. The card and embed states are disabled if the Smart Link is inserted within some content types (e.g. a list). If you hover over the greyed out options, a tooltip with an explanation should show.

Is this the case? If not, please let me know and we'll investigate further :) 

Cheers,

Jonno 

Stephanie Chen May 2, 2021

@Jonno Katahanas Nice, removing it from a list worked (although there doesn't seem to be a tooltip/explanation when I hover over the greyed out options). Thanks so much!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events