Convert your old pages to the new editor

71 comments

Marian Vidra February 26, 2020

When is this going to be available?

Like ā€¢ # people like this
Laura Bier February 26, 2020

Why would you want to convert when you lose so much functionality? It's getting really ridiculous the amount of lost work time dealing with troubleshooting issues and identifying workarounds for things that I could do in the legacy editor...

Cassandra Myer February 26, 2020

I 100% agree. The issue is that we can manually convert or eventually will be forced to do it. There doesn't seem to be an option to retain the legacy editing that we have built into pages and templates. 

The value of using Atlassian Confluence is going way down. We are researching other products. 

Michael Jones February 26, 2020

The new editor is atrocious and completely broken when working with large tables. I need a way to convert back to the old editor please. 

Currently when working with tables with 400+ rows and using embedded links within cells the editor is failing constantly resulting in so much lost work. Yet all I get is constant error messages when trying to save the page. 

My organisation is strongly looking at other products now simply because basic functionality is broken (on Confluence cloud). 

Like ā€¢ Ben Shuker likes this
Tom Crowley February 27, 2020

@Laura Bier @Michael Jones @Cassandra Myer Talk to support. They can make the old editor template available on your site again. They can't convert new pages to the old editor, but you can at least access the old template.

Brendan McKinney February 27, 2020

How is the response time for this? We have a project going that is in much need of this feature. Manual updating of the amount of content we have is unfeasible. Looking to get and try this feature out asap. Just awaiting that beautiful email from Atlassian!

Leslie Clerke February 27, 2020

The new editor is terrible. I can't believe that something as sub standard as this was actually released.

Lucas M.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 28, 2020

Hello everyone,

This is Lucas from Confluence Cloud Support team!

Just to make sure that we're on the same page, the page conversion is optional, so you can keep your existing pages in the old editor, if you prefer.

In the meantime, you can also reach out to us through our support channel and we'll be happy to re-enable the old editor for you.

lh March 2, 2020

@TiffanyI dont seem to be able to reverse a already migrated page. This causes a real problem, because unfortunately a lot of features are not supported by the new editor. I have almost 100 of these particualr featured pages. Can you help me, please?? What rights do I need to have in order to reverse the migration? how can I still work in the old editor? I keep on getting the bug where my text gets copied non-stop.
Thanks for your help.

Marian Vidra March 2, 2020

Hi Lucas, I went through your 'support channel' as you mentioned above. I would like you re-enable the old editor for me but even after filling all details it just gives me an option to 'Explore the community' or 'View documentation'. Not very helpful though...

Lucas M.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 2, 2020

Hey, @Marian Vidra and @lh 

To clarify a few aspects:

• To rollback to the older editor version, you must go through ... > Page History and then, select to restore from an old editor version of the page
  • To request support to enable the legacy template, you must be an admin for your site, since the editor change is a site-wide configuration. If you're not an admin, please, reach out to one of your site-admins first.

Hope this helps!

Ben Shuker March 2, 2020

I have serious concerns about what will happen when the new editor is forced on us and existing pages are automatically converted.

We have hundreds of pages that are client facing that will look terrible with the new editor, not to mention any lost functionality.

We will need to spend an enormous amount of time reviewing and rebuilding hundreds, if not thousands of pages one at a time.

A fundamental change to how a product works can't just be pushed out like this!

Tiffany
Atlassian Team
March 2, 2020

Hey @lh , there is no way to reverse an already migrated page for any pages migrated not using this feature. For the issue with your content getting copied nonstop, please let support know that this is happening. My team will investigate that issue as that should not be happening.

@Ben Shuker : I hear you, and I want to let you know that we don't plan on force converting any pages. Our team wants to make sure that there's as little friction in converting your pages as possible, and if there are areas that you'd like to see in the new editor, please feel free to let me know here.

Ben Shuker March 2, 2020

@Tiffany that's not what support told me when I asked if our current content would be auto converted.

When the new editor rolled out, all pages, including the existing page would be converted to the new editor. So if you'd like to remain on the old editor, I'd suggest you give the Confluence Server a try.

Tom Crowley March 3, 2020

@Ben Shuker Avinoam told us in a call the other day that while they are no longer supporting or releasing for the Legacy editor, it isn't going to be removed any time soon. They aren't going to force us across until we're ready to move, he said.

@Tiffany Can we get some official, clear, and widely distributed message on this please? It sometimes feels like Support aren't getting the same message we are, and this is causing confusion among users.

Cassandra Myer March 3, 2020

We  haven't gotten a clear message from Atlassian about this, other than normal spin. I would prefer a very definite flag in confluence settings that controls the editor used. 

Unfortunately they are not asking me (us) what we want. 

Alberto BuriticĆ” March 12, 2020

Convert your old pages to the new editor function is available now in my Confluence instance and my worst nightmare comes true more than two hundred pages are not compatible.

@Tiffany would kind to tell me please what the user could do with these pages? Could I leave them with the old editor to end of the time, or Atlassian will decide in some moment convert all automatically?

Tiffany
Atlassian Team
March 13, 2020

Hi all,

I wanted to share an article that should help clear up some confusion around what's happening with the editor. This should help address any confusion on how changes are coming, what it means for your site if you don't currently have the new editor, and what to do with legacy pages if you'd like to convert them. 

@Alberto BuriticĆ” There is only a very small percentage of pages that are ineligible to convert. We are trying to close the gap such that more pages can be converted. However, another potential cause of the ineligibility is if someone is currently working on the same document you're on. If this is not the case, please reach out to Support with examples of your pages so we can investigate and help you convert those pages.

Dan Winkler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2020

@Tiffany Looks like the link is bad or the article is locked at the moment.

message.png

ZdĆ­k Kudrle March 16, 2020

So you want to prevent your users/customers from the schizophrenia caused by 2 editors? Easy solution: drop the new one! Just look into the mirror, do a little soul searching and admit it: YOU HAVE FAILED. Scrap the whole initiative and get back to the roots.

If you read comments all around your forums, the backlash is overwhelming and saying "we provide the tool so you easily migrate to the new one" is like saying "We know that the stab in your stomach hurts, but here is a katana to cut your head off, so the pain stops". The whole "new experience" is a downgrade in core features. I don't even know where to start when naming the functionalities missing in sake of hipsterness and "fresh new approach". If you didn't notice, most of the users of CNFL aren't Instagram / Facebook freaks, but professionals in their respective field(s). We are not creating new super-duper social platform, we are working.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2020

thanks for sharing. I signed up for early access so I can give it a try. While I don't like losing existing features I find the new editor experience more pleasant and look forward to continuing my usage. Keep filling in the holes in the new editor. Thanks!

Like ā€¢ Mandy Ross likes this
Joshua Mathews March 31, 2020

I get it - things get broken or deprecated as they age. Did I overlook a way to locate things that are incompatible. Want to generate a list / build a report so it can assigned for review? Eventually we'll be able to batch update them, but would like to be able to see the pages without going page by page by page. 

mudo April 1, 2020

This is gonna hurt! It will take hours after hours. 

Andrew Kendris April 15, 2020

Hello Everyone,

I just got an announcement from Atlassian today that this will be rolled out to end-users soon.

Wanted to share the good news!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2020

I have been using it in my instance for about a week now. I have converted 3 pages and so far so good. Definitely some formatting changed in some instances but not a big deal in my case so far.

Like ā€¢ Andrew Kendris likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events