Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing our new and improved expand!

Viewing page 3 of 3

75 comments

Comment

Tyler Havener January 7, 2020

What the heck is an "expand feature?" I have no idea what it means to have an "expand" in the context of editing. I can go figure out what you mean by that, but it's not a pattern I think people who have no idea what the long-standing ask has been will understand. 

Ariana Nunez January 7, 2020

Does anyone have a real life example on how to use /expand?

Joshua Martin January 7, 2020

Hello, 

I use it often for my documentation. 

An example would be if I am listing out steps for a process, and within that process, there is a step that MAY be used maybe not enough to include in steps, but not enough to take to another document. Great way to include the information, but it's not always visible. 

Like # people like this
Jean-Michel Decombe January 7, 2020

Certainly... Organize a set of concepts, requirements, specifications, or others into a hierarchy. Each item is represented by a title, but you want people to be able to read more about each item too, at their leisure and without having to jump to a different page or document, so you enclose the details into an expand. Therefore, each bullet point in your hierarchy is an expand, closed by default, whose title is a short description and whose contents is the longer description or a collection of added details. You may even want to go further and say that an expand's contents is itself a container that can thus include text, image, video, or even another hierarchy, table, etc. Why not? The idea is to consider expands as containers, just like table cells, or ideally bullet points as well, where a container can contain absolutely anything like a regular page.

Like # people like this
Ariana Nunez January 7, 2020

Thank you so much. I am going to use it right now.

Oliver Schoenborn February 26, 2020

Well I can't get the expand box to show tables, another expansion, etc. The old code snippet had ability to be collapsed or expanded anf to show line numbers. That's now gone. 

Matthew Garrett January 7, 2020

You do not seem able to choose an alignment option for images that you insert?

laerciosantanna January 8, 2020

@Jonno Katahanasthanks for this enhancement, it'll be useful for me.

Adam January 9, 2020

A great feature but I am expericning issues with it. The text alignment  / spacing / placement seems to be being cut unusually short (see attachment). I am using the Page Properities Report Macro. Perhaps this is part of the issue?!

tempsnip.png 

TR Staake January 9, 2020

Isn't this just feature parity with the old expand? What is new/improved?

peter January 9, 2020

Seems like its lest robust than the old that we use at work.  It seems you cant resize it or change the color.  If you can, then nobody at Atlassian has told me

David Ogundeko January 10, 2020

This is perfect! We can use this to create document metadata and have it hidden in plain sight basically for a cleaner UX

peter January 10, 2020

Looks like no one at Altassian reads this.  Comments are in vain

Like Oliver Schoenborn likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2020

I don't think that is really the case TBH. I wouldn't assume the comments are not seen/read just because there isn't a response to them. What I find in this post is that it starts out announcing a specific feature but much of the comments are '...well that's nice but what about this...'.

I find it is much better to use the in-application feedback link for such or even adding suggestions at Atlassian Support.

Like Mandy Ross likes this
Xavier Amador January 13, 2020

It seems that if an Expand macro is in a table, it is not possible to insert an 'Include Page' or 'Excerpt Include' macro into the Expand macro. When attempting to do this, the Include Page or Excerpt Include macro is placed outside of the Expand macro.

Will this be fixed?

Like Michelle Marin likes this
Michelle Marin January 13, 2020

Question- I used to be able to put an expand macro within an excerpt, but with the new editor I cannot.  Has anyone found a way to do this with the new editor?

Anneke Grant January 16, 2020

In the old editor, we could nest Expand's.

It seems we can't in the new editor?

This seems like a backwards step, not an improvement...

Is there a plan to enable this any time soon?

Like # people like this
Ayah February 6, 2020

Is the ability to nest expands coming back? This improvement is a step backwards for my team since we used nested expands so often. 

Like Oliver Schoenborn likes this
midei.toriyama February 6, 2020

Could you share why full-width option in Page Layout is discontinued in the new editor? I use full-width a lot in the old editor. I'm very sad this is taken away. 

Hila Efraim March 30, 2020

Hey, how can i increase the expand's label font?:)

Like Daniel Avissar likes this
Heather Phagan April 6, 2020

Great feature. I was just trying it out and came across a a couple things that could be enhanced.

1. Allow the title for an expand area to be formatted. I'd like to make the title a header so I can create a link to an expand area.
  2. Allow creating a link to an expand area that expands automatically when visited. I want to send people to information within an expand, but my page has multiple expands on it. It's not obvious to the person where the information I want them to look at is because it is hidden within the expand.
Like # people like this
Daniel Avissar June 9, 2021

+1 on this. I would love to be able to edit the format of the title. 

Liam Singe May 20, 2020

hey guys, this is great! helps out a lot. but i have one question. it looks like you can put a singular JIRA macro within the new expand option, but i doesn't look like you can insert the table JRIA macro (having 2 or more in your search). 

is this something that can be done? and that i am doing wrong? or is there a restriction on this?

cheers,

Whitney Rockwell June 24, 2020

Is this feature going to be available to confluences held on a server, not cloud?

Like Sanjog Sigdel likes this
Ronald Kwan January 18, 2022

Hi is there a way to insert the expand table inside the "table of contents" macro?

Allen Kim January 26, 2022

At least, you need to provide a feature to show it as expanded or collapsed.
Displaying contents as always collapsed mode is not what I want, which make users unable to search text without expanding one by one.

Like # people like this
Patrizia April 8, 2022

If I have an expand macro in a table (field) and I want to insert a panel but it is not working. Other macros like "status" or "date" work fine. But when you select the macro "panel" it will automatically be placed above or below the expand. But not inside the expand macro. Could you please allow this macro in the expand macro? Thanks!

Like # people like this
mawi September 30, 2022

This announcement is so frustrating and annoying, since it glosses over that this is still not working!

What do we want to put in our expands? Additional content, like diagrams, images, bulleted points to understand and - very common - code snippets. Half of this works. Half does not work.

So, yay - we can put the expand macro in a table (which we could not when the new editor was released). But it only does basic text, images, nothing else. So its a handicapped expand.

Please complete the feature. Bullet points and code snippets in expands in tables - its a very, very common use.

Here are two issues that speak to the issue. 

Here's a page with a table that - in line with the statement on this page - also does not tell the whole story, but marks this as implemented: 

So, yay, handicapped expand that can only contain basic content is now usable in the tables. Still waiting for the rest...

Like # people like this
mawi July 31, 2023

2023-07-31 13_14_55-Edit - 222 Mark Attachment Test2... - Marcus Widerberg - Confluence.png

natthapark.chaksu-in November 4, 2022

Please help add expandable = false in edit mode! It will free up a lot of room.

varun parmar June 28, 2023

How can we use this to nest ? Trying to build a confluence page via python script and it needs nesting using expand macro . How can it be done ?

{Expand} txt here {Expand}

Sanjog Sigdel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2023

The new expand feature is awesome 👍

mawi December 20, 2023

Except that it still does not work for bulletpoints, code, etc. (noted here and by many others)

But disregarding that little detail, yeah, really awesome.

Maybe next time they'll go all the way and fix it. New editor will be on par with old editor sometime 2027.

Luke February 9, 2024

Hi, do you know if we can add macros like 'Include Page' within the Expand? Thanks! 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events