Would a Compass CLI tool be useful?

Hey everyone, Josh here from the product team. Would a Compass CLI tool be useful to you? Examples of use cases could be:

• create/read/update/delete/list components, scorecards, metrics, teams

• bulk operations for the above (e.g. bulk delete)

• generate compass.yaml (with optional parameter injection)

• send a metric value for an existing component

• send an event (any supported type) for an existing component

• bulk add labels to a list of components (name or ARI)

• create scorecard from a supplied template file/JSON

Looking to gauge interest and really keen to hear from you what else might be useful as well. Cheers!

6 comments

Alfred February 27, 2023

This sort of capability would be invaluable. In essence this could be an omnichannel solution where between sources and destinations one could have a universal profile for a user. 

Like # people like this
Adam Setch February 27, 2023

Absolutely! 

Like # people like this
Robin Keet February 27, 2023

This would be a great something to have for us as well as we (Platform Engineering) are evaluating tooling and services for setting up an IDP (Internal Developer Platform) for self-service project management down to the infrastructure (as code). 

The ability to also automatically include a Compass setup for any metrics the application and infrastructure generate for a product generate would be an amazing addition. 

Like Josh Campbell likes this
Martin Brignall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2023

I'd agree with the sentiment here. I strongly believe that Compass has a part to play in our business and CLI will add a layer that supports its adoption. Please reach out if I can be of any assistance with this! 

Cheers.

Laura February 28, 2023

I also think this would be very useful as I think many parts of compass can and should be integrated in automatic toolings like a CI/CD pipeline. 

Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2023

We'd really appreciate a CLI – especially if it is scripting-friendly.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events