Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Compass templates

Hey everyone, Josh here from the Compass product team and I’d like to introduce a new major feature of Compass: templates!

aeddb0aa-6ba2-4c0c-aab2-6cf7c933838b.gif

We’ve heard from lot of customers that having a way to automate the setup and creation of new software components is important. With Compass templates, you can speed up and standardize your software component creation with reusable, customizable templates that integrate best practices and adhere to your engineering organization’s standards & tooling.

Create templates that include preset information, boilerplate code, and webhooks. Then use those templates in Compass to quickly create software components that automate repetitive tasks and orchestrate the rest of your tools and systems.

Say goodbye to repetitive setup tasks, and hello to a streamlined development process – all within the intuitive Compass UI.

Get started with templates

With this first release, you need to connect the GitHub app to your Compass site to use templates. Bitbucket and GitLab support are coming soon, thanks for your patience!

There’s more to come

This is the first of many upcoming releases around the templates feature, and we’re interested in hearing your feedback and what else you’d like to see. Things we’ve got in mind:

• The ability to add additional optional parameters (key/value pairs) to a template which would get passed along in the webhook event when a component is created from the template.

• Optional use of a templating language/engine to customize the forked repository contents.

• The ability to define and send arbitrary web requests with custom headers and payload whenever a component is created from a template.

• Keeping components created from a template in sync whenever the template itself is updated/changed (e.g. if a library version is bumped in the template, open a PR to all components created from the template bumping the version).

4 comments

Nate Whitehead June 4, 2023

Would love to see some video examples of demos with templates and hear more specific/detailed use cases. I'm struggling to see the value in the template yet.

Like # people like this
mjbrzezinski August 7, 2023

I have to wonder about the Product Team's decision to fast track Github integrations over Bitbucket integrations.

Like # people like this
Mike Bywater August 21, 2023

I can’t find any details on when to expect Bitbucket templates to be available. Is there a roadmap published anywhere for compass? Hard to decide whether it’s worth waiting 

Like John Kinmonth likes this
Josh Campbell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 1, 2023

Hey hey product manager who made that very difficult decision here! Bitbucket Cloud support for templates is currently being worked on by the team. Expect it before end of year, I too am very anxious for it 😁

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events