Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Bitbucket repositories linked to Jira Software projects into Compass!

Hello Compass users! We’ve got a brand new feature released today that I’m super excited to tell you about.

Are you a Bitbucket user? Does your team use the Code feature in Jira Software? Are you using issue keys in PRs, branch names or commits to transition Jira Software issues

I have great news for you: you can now import repositories linked to Jira Software projects directly into Compass. If that sounds a little confusing, check out this handy diagram of the different ways to import repos from Bitbucket to Compass:

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 1.31.35 PM.png

The Code tab in Jira Software is where you can see all your repos linked to a given project: 

Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 10.31.59 AM.png

We know many of you are already using this Code feature and other Open Devops features within Jira Software. They’re great for helping your developers stay in the moment while coding, and reducing context-switches.

Now you can link your existing toolchain to Compass using these features.

1. Click “Create” in the top nav, then select “Import.”

2. Scroll down to Jira Software, then click “Import” next to it.

3. This will open up an import wizard that walks you through the steps to pull in linked Bitbucket repositories from Jira Software into Compass. After only a few minutes, you’ll have a Compass catalog ready to go!

These imported components will have the following info:

• Service type

• Name (name of the repo)

• Description (with which project it’s imported from)

• jira-import label

• Bitbucket repository link

• Jira Software project link

Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 10.24.31 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 10.23.49 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 3.46.29 PM.png

Why should I do this?

Importing existing linked repos from Jira Software into Compass gives you a jump-start when trying out our catalog. With just a few clicks, you can pull in the repos you own from the projects you’ve recently used, and get started with components that actually matter to you. This means you won’t have to sort through every repo in your workspace to find the ones your team cares about.

We know that filling out the catalog is the most time-consuming part of getting started in Compass, so we’re doing our best to make it easy for you. Remember, you can also get started using any of our existing importers, like Bitbucket, Github, or CSV files.

What should I do next?

After importing, there are a few more steps we’d recommend following to get the most out of your catalog:

1. Install the Bitbucket app for Compass. This will start populating metrics and events, so you can monitor component health.

2. Add Owner Teams to your newly-imported components. This lets you use features like our Home Page and CheckOps to keep your team happy and productive. You can now add owner teams directly from your Components search page! Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 10.28.20 AM.png

3. Enable the Compass field in Jira Software and start linking issues to Compass components. This allows you to track the work your team does against the performance of your Compass metrics and scorecards.

I don’t use Bitbucket, but I want this feature!

Importing other types of repos (Github, Gitlab, etc.) is next on our roadmap :success: I’ll share an update in the Community once that change goes live.

What’s coming next with Compass and Jira Software?

Compass and JSW have a beautiful future together! We’ve got tons of additional integrations in the works to help you make use of your Compass data while you’re prioritizing your backlog or planning your sprints.

• Jira-Powered Metrics, based on your Jira issue data, will show you which components need operational attention. Set up scorecards based on these metrics to know which tech debt is most urgent, and prevent incidents down the road.

• Compass component information in Jira issues, where you need it, while you work. Have your Compass catalog info at your fingertips, so you can estimate with confidence and prioritize with ease.

• Create Jira issues from CheckOps actions, so forgotten retro tasks are a thing of the past.

What do you think about these ideas? What else would you like to see?

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events