Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compass Components in Jira Software are coming!

Hi friends, 

Thanks so much to those of you who signed up for the pilot group trying out our new Compass x JSW Integration. 

For those of you who didn't sign up, don't worry! No hard feelings! We'll begin shipping the functionality to you this week. This is a progressive release, so it will take until mid-January to appear on everyone's site. 

Here is everything you need to know about how to use Compass Components in Jira Software, and how it affects you.

What's changing? 

When the feature appears on your site, you will see a new drop-down toggle in the Components page on your existing Company-Managed Jira Software projects. That toggle will allow you to opt into Compass components (or opt back out if you prefer not to use it on a given project.) 

Any Jira component data that you've already applied to historical issues will be preserved - there's no risk of data loss. You can toggle back and forth as many times as you'd like. 

New Company-Managed Jira Software projects will be created with Compass Components opted in by default. You can still opt out and go back to Jira components if you prefer. This change will only take effect in Jira Software projects - Jira Service Management and Jira Work Management are not affected. 

Any user with JSW access can use the Component field. Only users with Compass access will be able to view the Components page information. Project Admin access is required to toggle between Compass and Jira Components (the same way that Project Admins manage components today.) The toggle works per-project, so you don't have to opt your whole site in all at once. 

Learn more about:

What will it look like? 

This is the first thing you'll see on the page - a spotlight highlighting the drop down.

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 11.38.45 AM.png

Once you click through the spotlight, you'll see this toggle. Project Admins can click it to switch between Compass and Jira Components for their project.

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 11.25.11 AM.png

Here's what the field looks like! When a user clicks on Components after their project is opted into Compass components, they'll see the full list of Compass components to select from. These will be sorted by relevancy, so the most-used components per project will be at the top of the list. It's also searchable.

The id-gatekeeper component with the icon is from Compass. You will recognize Compass components on issues because they always have an icon. If there is a historical Jira component value on the issue already, it will be grayed out. Finance is an example of a historical Jira component that was applied to an issue before Compass components are opted in. 

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 11.25.44 AM.png

Once your team starts tagging issues with Components, they'll be listed in the Components page. Ta-da! Note - the only way Components show up on this project (for now) is for them to be associated with an issue in that project. We'll work on adding other ways to list them here in future releases. 

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 11.41.30 AM.png

Troubleshooting

1. What if my components don't load into Compass? Try toggling back to Jira Components and then to Compass Components again. This should trigger another sync attempt. 

2. What if I want to use components in Automation? For now, you won't be able to use Compass Components in Automation rules. This is due to some complexity in the way automation is built around components living in projects. We're going to work on this as a top priority and I'd expect updates sometime in the new year. 

3. My old issues associated to the Compass custom field no longer appear in Compass. We are changing this experience for everyone to pull from the Components field for now. If you're having an issue where you need to use this page, but you don't have access to the feature yet, please leave a comment here and we can get you added.

How can I ask questions or share feedback?

10 comments

Holger Winkelmann December 9, 2023

HI, many thanks for making Compass Components availale for JSW , we are starting to modleing Compass Components right now.

As we also run GitOPS managed services as components it would be nice to know when Compass Components can be used in JSM as well?

Like Jørgen Scheel likes this
Jørgen Scheel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 9, 2023

Hi there - and great that you are taking this next step now!

We have been on Compass from the early beta and we have all our Components there.
Now I see we are in a "limbo" where the linke we have made to between Compass and Issues are gone from Compass and I can not opt into the change of Components to use Compass for company projects.

Can you please enable Compass as our global Components for our Atlassian site?

Like Dan Thagard likes this
Nicolas Galluzzo December 21, 2023

Hi! Do you plan to support team-managed projects in the future?

Wolfgang Diehl December 28, 2023

Hi,

So let me get this straight and highlight this point!

New Company-Managed Jira Software projects will be created with Compass Components opted in by default.

So to get the same component functionality as before, even though an organization is not using Compass, you plan to FORCE every admin on every new project to manually toggle off the 'Compass components' just so that you can advertise Compass with the 'Get Compass free' button in the components tab?

What about API? Do we at least get the option to toggle off Compass components on project creation or, if nothing else, afterwards, as this is literally a breaking change to every project setup automation that creates a set of components after project creation.

Sorry for the harsh words, but come on, I was expecting more from you.

Like Kirsten_Rhodes likes this
Rebekka Heilmann _viadee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2024

Hi everyone,

how do the Compass Components work with Services in JSM? I cannot find any connection so far, meaning at the moment I would have to manage a Service and its connections in JSM and in Compass.

Ani Hatzis
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 14, 2024

We have used Jira components and Compass components in parallel. It seems the Compass field has been removed, and the toggle is still missing.

However, how can we migrate all issues from Jira components to Compass components, if we can have only either of them at any given time? Once I can switch components from Jira to Compass, will I still see the Jira components field in the UI so I can filter for them and batch-update them?

erik_honn January 18, 2024

Any plans for team managed? Considering the effort Atlassian is putting into team managed projects I find it very strange that you would release with only support for company managed.

Noah Miles January 26, 2024

Two questions:

We have components (which reflect systems and will be in Compass) and compents in JSW projects which reflect sub-streams of work within a project.  Can the two co-exist, or is it either / or?  

This mentions JSW, but what about Jira Work Management?  Will Compass components be available there, too?  We have non-engineering projects to manage centralized processes (like our launch process) in JWM, which we want to relate to issues in ~100 JSW projects, and Compass seems like the silver bullet...  IF this component functionality extends to JWM projects as well as JSM.  Will this be possible?

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Janne Jaula
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 7, 2024

This is essential and long awaited upgrade to Jira that provides global components and even combines them up with additional and very relevant information.

I hope you could show through selected component information as you can show data for atlassian assets in asset custom fields.

Additionally asset-compass integration could be interesting thing to add.

Kirsten_Rhodes March 5, 2024

Hi!  I see a lot of value in Compass and this idea of data continuity.  Compass is not a product my company intends to start using any time soon though.  

As you roll this out, can you please have the toggle in the Jira project be default set to the Jira Components configuration.  Atlassian is creating a lot of frustration with in-product ads.  Please do not hurt us more.  

If anyone else finds this site and agrees with my comment, please visit https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CLOUD-11352 to vote for any opportunity to turn off advertisements

And https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CLOUD-10325 to help control the sprawl of new sites/products being created out of confusion.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events