Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why does git asking to submit username and password every time?

mRaj May 30, 2023

why does git keep on asking to submit username and password every time i do npm install even though its all ssh key

2 answers

1 vote
mRaj June 2, 2023

BTW I found it is a vs-code issue till now did not find that login popup.
Make sure this field should be unchecked. Well can't be sure but it worked for me.
Anybody find anything else update me 
Thanks

image.png

0 votes
Erez Maadani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2023

Hi @mRaj 

Check your package.json. It's possible that one of your npm dependencies (or their transitive dependencies) is pointing to a git repo which requires your authentication - the git repo url is https:// and not ssh:// 

mRaj May 30, 2023

Hi, @Erez Maadani
well yes in dependencies it's asking for a repo but it is git+ssh and moreover, it used to work before 
but yes I updated node ver to 16 that is one significant change apart from that no change
and surprisingly it works in the git bash terminal but when doing any npm in vs code integrated bash terminal it asks 

Erez Maadani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2023

Hi @mRaj 

It's possible that there are two different git/ssh clients with two different configurations: one is more strict than the other.

Following recent changes to BitBucket host key, you might need to either:

1. Configure your vs-code to use the same git/ssh client as your bash terminal.
  2. Update your ssh configuration of your vs-code ssh client. See details here: https://bitbucket.org/blog/ssh-host-key-changes  
mRaj May 30, 2023

Hi, @Erez Maadani will try the above-suggested steps.
since you mentioned a host key change that I did not update maybe that is the issue.

mRaj May 30, 2023

image.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events