Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which pipeline YML do i need to update

Martin Rojas July 23, 2019

As I am looking to make updates to my pipelines. What I am finding hard to understand is which branch is being used to run the pipeline.  

For example my project follow git-flow . `master -> develop -> feature/*` branches with PRs. 

If I chance the YML in a feature branch will it work only until is in master or develop?  Or does it take the latest YML as the one to execute. I could not find anything in the documentation about this. Any help from someone that has encountered this issue would be great. 

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2019

Hi @Martin Rojas,

Pipelines consider bitbucket-pipelines.yml file in a given branch to trigger the build and run the specified tasks.

Examples of situations that may happen:

1. A commit arrives in develop.
    The bitbucket-pipelines.yml from branch develop will be checked and if it has rules to run a build on develop the build will happen otherwise not.
  2. A pull-requests from develop to master is created.
    If develop has the rule to trigger when pull-requests are created then the build will be triggered.

It means that Bitbucket Pipelines allow you to have different build steps for each branch depending on what bitbucket-pipelines.yml configuration you have for that branch. Usually, the main configuration is created on master and them shared with other branches, that is why the main file has often details about what is triggered in other branches. To simplify the whole process the file could be the same across all branches.

I hope that answers your question.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events