what happen to the commits made previously after deleting an account?

Chang Yan January 31, 2018

I understand that for group access (like those given to students of CS courses or companies), if a user deletes his or her account, Bitbucket automatically deletes that user from all repository access lists. Does that mean the commits made by that user will also be removed from the repository?

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2018

Hi Chang, the commits and the content they added to someone else's repositories will not be removed, but any repo or project that this user owns will be deleted, even if other people have access to them. If you want to keep this content, you'll have to transfer it to some other account first. To do so you can follow the steps at Change or transfer repository ownership.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Cheers :)

Ana

Chang Yan February 1, 2018

Hi Ana, thank you! 

My friend owns a repo and she granted me access to it. So in this case if I delete my account, will she be able to see my previous commits? If the person who pushed the commit no longer exist in the system, can the owner know that those commits are made by me or it'll be shown as some anonymous person?

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2018

Hi Chang! If your commits were accepted by your friend, then they are part of her repository now and they won't be lost when you delete your account. 

Once you delete your account, your previous contributions will be shown as 'Anonymous'.

Hope that helps!

Ana

Edit: if it's necessary to check who committed some code, this can be done from the command line using for example git log. On the Bitbucket UI, since it's mapped using the email address, this is not possible.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events