Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

variables not showing up in pipeline's UI views?

Jason Legako January 20, 2023
From this documentation: https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/variables-and-secrets/

I added the variables to my bitbucket_pipelines.yml file like so:
-
step:
        name: UI Testing for $BITBUCKET_BRANCH to $BITBUCKET_PR_DESTINATION_BRANCH

and in bitbucket's pipeline UI it shows "UI Testing for $BITBUCKET_BRANCH to $BITBUCKET_PR_DESTINATION_BRANCH" and doesn't fill the variables with the branch names?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Syahrul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2023

G'day @Jason Legako 

Based on your description you wish to use environment variables in your steps name?

If yes, that's an expected outcome because the name is supposed to be unique and used to describe the step. The environment variable is only available under Script, as it's used to specify a list of commands to be run.

I can't locate any existing Feature requests on this, so if you are interested, please let me know so I can raise one.

Cheers,
Syahrul

Jason Legako January 23, 2023

TYVM. I see, yeah raise a ticket imo, would be really important to be able to name which UI tests are running based on to/from branch.

So you're saying it HAS to be inside a script whereas the docs say it can be inside the file OR a script?

From the Docs: https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/variables-and-secrets/

"You can access the variables from the bitbucket-pipelines.yml file or any script that you invoke by referring to them"

Syahrul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2023

Hey @Jason Legako 

Apologize for the confusion. The script I mention is in the YML configuration.

pipelines: 
default:
- step:
script:

- <script>

With that said, I have raised a new feature request on behalf of you at:

BCLOUD-22425 - Ability to use variables in step name 

Don't forget to Vote and Watch the feature request so that you'll receive an update whenever we have any in the future.

Cheers,
Syahrul

0 votes
Jason Legako January 23, 2023

removed

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events