Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

test plugin

sebastian April 21, 2020

Hi, I want to test this plugin which is for the server version.
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221399/security-for-bitbucket?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview
What's the best way of doing this?
Install bitbucket locally on my machine?
Is there any alternative?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 22, 2020

Hi Sebastian,

In large installs, it's typical to see staging / development environments used for testing things like upgrades and new plugins before promoting them to production. If that's not available in your environment (for example, if Bitbucket Server is just being used for a small team of 10 or less developers), then I would suggest testing on your local machine.

There are a couple options locally:

1. You can install Bitbucket Server with the typical installer for your platform
  2. You can use a docker image for Bitbucket Server to rapidly deploy the application in a container

And depending on your technical expertise, you could use AWS to launch a test instance. We provide AMIs for Bitbucket Server and QuickStart templates for Bitbucket Data Center to get you up and running in an AWS environment quickly.

After that, install the plugin you want to test in Bitbucket and give it a whirl. When you're done, you can destroy the AWS instance or just shut down the local service.

Cheers,
Daniel

sebastian April 23, 2020

I installed Bitbucket locally, then added the plugin.

The strange thing is I go to the settings page of the plugin and it's empty.

Any idea what could be causing this?

This is the plugin.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221399/security-for-bitbucket?hosting=server&tab=overview

The local instance of Bitbucket seems to be working strange... for example I go to the Marketplace and it doesn't show anything because it doesn't have internet connection.

Thanks.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2020

Hey Sebastian,

I've tried an offline installation of the plugin to see if the definitions it used require internet access:

image.pngIt appears to come with rules already loaded! But I would say that typically the "Find new apps" page will throw an info banner at you if it can't connect to the internet (or at the very least, just return 0 results). 

Are you testing on your local laptop and are there any proxies between your test install and the internet?

The plugin manager will let you manually install an app you've downloaded from the Marketplace:

1. First visit the Versions page in Marketplace of the app you want to install - here's the link to the Versions page for the Security for Bitbucket plugin 
  2. Click the Download link for the most recent version of the app
  3. In the Manage apps page in Bitbucket, use the option up top to upload the file
    image.png

I might suggest reinstalling the app via this method if you're seeing some issues with the current installation you have of it. It might also be worth just restarting Bitbucket if it's just your test instance still!

sebastian May 6, 2020

the plugin has a bug.

that's why it doesn't work on explorer.

it does work on google chrome.

cheers.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events