stash upgrade from 2.x to 3.x

Hello,

I am planning to upgrade Stash from 2.4.1 to 3.3. I am using SQL server database.

As the Stash-backup-client is only supported starting from Stash 2.8, I have to manually backup Stash data, then upgrade Stash.

Is there any consideration before this upgrade? and how a rollback can be done in case issues with the upgrade.

Thank you, 

2 answers

Just backup your current home directory and the database. If something fails while upgrading, then you can just copy back the old home directory and the database and everything is fine smile

Hi Soumia,

What Lars mentioned is correct. I'd just like to comment on a few points on this thread.

• The backup client was launched on a beta version with Stash 2.7. So that release can be backed up using the backup tool.
  • As described on our Data recovery and backups document: "strategies for backing up and restoring Stash data must keep the repository data and the database perfectly synchronised". Hence:
    • Before backing up the your $STASH_HOME and database, please make sure you stopped your instance.
    • Restore procedure: just restore your database and $STASH_HOME as described using your own tools (the file system can be a simple cold copy and the database should be backed up using your vendor's recommended tool). From here, all you have to do is to download the binary on the machine you intend to restore your instance, on the same release as you had before and simply update the value of STASH_HOME in the <Stash installation directory>/bin/setenv file to point to your restored Stash home directory. If you want more details on how to manually install Stash, please refer to Install Stash from an archive file.

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
Thiago Bomfim
Atlassian Support

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Piotr Plewa
Published Dec 27, 2017 in Bitbucket

Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it. I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda&nbsp...

673 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot