Recognition

• Give kudos
  • My kudos

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

stash cascade merge propagates release branch pom.xml updates to 'develop'

When stash automatic merge is turned on version changes to pom.xml in release/X.Y_REL are merged to 'develop'.

1. How can I avoid version changes to be propagated to develop?
  2. It can cause a merge conflict if other feature branches off 'develop' have been merged back to develop in the same time span.

We really like the automatic merge feature - how's everyone dealing with this scenario? What's best practice here?

Thanks a lot. 

4 answers

5 votes
Bryan Turner Atlassian Team Mar 19, 2015

Ulrich,

When we create our release branches and update the version in pom.xml, we manually merge that up and discard the changes (we use git merge -s ours for that). Once that merge has been done once, all subsequent changes should automatic merge without reapplying the version change. We use a script to cut our releases in part to automate the process of doing that merge and discarding the changes. When cutting point releases (say, 3.7.1), we do that on a separate "release-3.7.1" branch (not "release/3.7.1", so the branch is not picked up as a "Release" branch by the branch model) so that we can do the same merge-discarding-changes back to the "release/3.7" branch (and then onto "release/3.8" and "master"). All of those merges are done manually, not using Stash.

Hope this helps,
Bryan Turner
Atlassian Stash

Not an answer but I think this duplicates my question here: 

0 votes

Bryan explained how we deal with this below. For a little bit of background, I've wrote about it a while ago, see "Merge strategies" on http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/11/the-essence-of-branch-based-workflows/

For our use case with small teams we find it easiest to briefly allow an exemption on PRs and switching off auto-merge when we create the branch and then commit the POM updates directly. This means we continue getting the auto-merge capabilities on the new patch branch.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Powering DevOps with Bitbucket Server & Data Center

Hi everyone, The Cloud team recently announced 12 new DevOps features that help developers ship better code, faster   ! While we’re all excited about the new improvements to Bitbucket ...

1,903 views 0 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you