I've created a bit bucket / atlassian account using a google mail account to authenticate. My bitbucket account has been added to a group within which we share resources. I now want to use git to clone these resources but git wants a password.
I've added my SSH keys, still wants a password.
I cannot set a password, as this requires entering the old password, which I don't have as I used google to authenticate ...
So, how can I clone the repository or set a password?
Hello Robert and welcome to the Community!
You're correct in the fact you’re not able to change/set your password for Bitbucket as you’re using your google account. With this said, you will need to configured an application password within Bitbucket to use for authenticating. Here are the steps to create an app password:
Create an app password
To create an app password:
- From your avatar in the bottom left, click Bitbucket settings.
- Click App passwords under Access management.
- Click Create app password.
- Give the app password a name related to the application that will use the password.
- Select the specific access and permissions you want this application password to have.
- Copy the generated password and either record or paste it into the application you want to give access. The password is only displayed this one time.
Using an app password
An app password is a substitute password for the user account where you configure it, so you simply use it when authenticating with Bitbucket:
- username: your normal Bitbucket username
- password: the app password.
Source document: App passwords
I hope this helps clarify which password to create and use with Bitbucket. Please let us know if you’re still having issues.
Hey everyone, over the past year, we've added several new features on how you can use Bitbucket and Jira together. We'd love to know how you'll are using the integration and how it's helping your t...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events