Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

set password when using google authentication

Robert Frank December 21, 2018

I've created a bit bucket / atlassian account using a google mail account to authenticate. My bitbucket account has been added to a group within which we share resources. I now want to use git to clone these resources but git wants a password.

I've added my SSH keys, still wants a password.

I cannot set a password, as this requires entering the old password, which I don't have as I used google to authenticate ...

So, how can I clone the repository or set a password?

2 answers

1 accepted

19 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 24, 2018

Hello Robert and welcome to the Community!

*We've updated this answer to reflect changes within the product.*

You're correct in the fact you’re not able to change/set your password for Bitbucket as you’re using your Google account. With this said, you will need to configured an application password within Bitbucket to use for authenticating. Here are the steps to create an app password:

Create an app password

To create an app password:

1. Select your avatar (Your profile and settings) in the upper-right corner of the top navigation.

2. Select Personal settings from the Your profile and settings dropdown menu.

3. Select App passwords under Access management.

4. Select Create app password.

5. Give the app password a name related to the application that will use the password.

6. Select the specific access and permissions you want this application password to have.

7. Copy the generated password and either record or paste it into the application you want to give access. The password is only displayed this one time.

Add an app password to Sourcetree or another application

To add your app password to Sourcetree:

1. Go to the tab where you'll add or edit your account details:

1. (Windows) Go to Tools > Options. From the Options dialog, select the Authentication tab.

2. (macOS) Go to Sourcetree > Preferences. From the dialog that options, select the Accounts tab.

2. Click to Edit your account details or Add a new one.

3. From Authentication or Auth Type, select Basic, and enter your Username if it's not already there.

4. Enter the app password you just created as your Password. If you're on Windows, you'll need hit Refresh Password first.

5. Click OK or Save to save your account details.

To add your app password to another application, see the application's documentation for how to apply the app password.

Revoke an app password

To revoke an app password, select the password and click Revoke. Then confirm that you want to revoke the password.

Using an app password

An app password is a substitute password for the user account where you configure it, so you simply use it when authenticating with Bitbucket:

• username: your normal Bitbucket username

• Note: You cannot use your email address as your username.

• password: the app password.

This applies to direct API access (e.g. via curl with HTTP authentication) as well as for tools that integrate with Bitbucket via the HTTP API. As mentioned above, you cannot log in to the Bitbucket web interface with an app password.

Source document: App passwords

I hope this helps clarify which password to create and use with Bitbucket. Please let us know if you’re still having issues.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

pmali November 18, 2019

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for sharing above details but password generated from above process is difficult to remember, can you please share how we can reset this password to our choice?

Thanks,

Pramod

Like # people like this
Wasif Altaf September 20, 2020

App passwords of your own choice are not possible. Simply

• Create a new app password if you forget the old one.
  • Revoke the old app password.
BD December 6, 2020

I am having a similar problem. I went through these steps. However, I am not receiving the password reset email. Even in my spam folder.

Schalk Dormehl June 22, 2022

I have an idea.
Use static forums to place your answers, get them to rank highly on Google and then change your UI! Do this FREQUENTLY! 

Like Stephen Sifers likes this
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2022

@Schalk Dormehl

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, I've updated my answer above to reflect product changes and provide correct instructions. We do appreciate your feedback and understand how difficult this can be when answers and context are quickly outdated by product change.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

6 votes
ST Tsao September 25, 2022

I set up my bitbucket.com account using google sign-on.  I tried to change the password inside https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/ and ran into the problem that I don't have an old password.

So I just logged out, then on the login screen I clicked on "Can't log in" and I was able to get a password reset link via the Gmail account I used to register with Bitbucket.  This may or may not work with other Atlassian service.

Leslie Crooks April 10, 2023

absolute legend cheers mate 

sayas irfan October 8, 2023

Its worked! Thanks a lot

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events