remote: Too many invalid password attempts. Log in at https://id.atlassian.com/ to restore access.

Syed Waqas June 15, 2019

I have seen other answers related to this but nothing has worked out for me.

I am using git command line on Linux and Mac OS, and whenever I try to push or pull changes, I get this error:

remote: Too many invalid password attempts. Log in at https://id.atlassian.com/ to restore access.

When I logout and login again to BitBucket, this issue gets resolved, for a while, and I can perform git remote operations.

Is this because somewhere(probably a CI/CD pipeline) I had provided my password in the past and it is still prompting with the same password so BitBucket blocks my account on repeated attempts? If so, is there a way to know where this request originates from?

5 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2019

Hello Syed,

This issue does seem to be rather frustrating, especially when you’re needing to get work done and you have to step through the lockout process to complete your work. What I would suggest is to your review your session logs within Bitbucket cloud to see where logins are coming from.

If you wish to check your current account's active session, you can navigate to Avatar(bottom left) > Bitbucket Settings > Sessions

Source documentation: How to clear Bitbucket Cloud account's active session?

This will show where all of your logins are coming from. This should help in locating where your lockouts are coming from.

I hope this proves helpful and you’re able to find the cause of your account lockouts.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Syed Waqas June 18, 2019

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the instructions, Sessions do give an idea about where the requests are coming from and can help in narrowing the problem down using the OS version and IP address.

Like # people like this
Syed Waqas June 18, 2019

WORKAROUND: Currently the workaround I have done is to use SSH keys, which doesn't prompt me for the Bitbucket password so I dont have to logout & login to do remote operations.

The Sessions do help to investigate but it is my fault that I don't remember which servers I had provided my password on and also, I don't think I will be able to access those servers now anymore.

Like # people like this
Jean-Sébastien Goupil July 13, 2020

I found this solution almost working. I was using Azure DevOps and I was getting that same error.

I created an App Password which clears the problem.

Like # people like this
2 votes
Answer accepted
Muhammad Babar January 3, 2022

For Source Tree:

Go to menu item
   1. Tools -> Options
   2. A options popup will appear, go to [Authentication] tab.
   3. Click on the account that raising issue and [Delete]
   4. Add again with new password

Joe Peruzzi February 9, 2022

this was the answer, thanks Muhammad

3 votes
lesomeguy April 28, 2021

This solution also doesn't work for me.  I have tried to set my account to use OAuth authentication, Basic Authentication, and Basic Authentication with App Passwords, Source Tree still refuses to accept my credentials.  Source Tree is now essentially useless to me. 

1 vote
orbticoms March 23, 2021

Does not help for me. I have tried logging out and back into bit bucket and sourcetree

Still getting "This is not a valid source path /url" and error box "Error: Remote: Too many invalid password attempts..."

I was working fine most of the day creating repos in bitbucket and cloning to local drive then I got these same errors and a huge list of local repos with error "repository moved or deleted"

0 votes
Manoj Parameswaran May 25, 2021

I signedup to bitbucked using gmail  account. I downloaded sourcetree and it got authorized and what ever. But when i try to clone code, it keeps giving me "too many attempts ..." error. I tried various things like (1) clearing passwords from windows credential manager, (2) reinstall source tree, logout and login back to bitbucket a dozen times in same browser, incognito, new browser etc. (3) Removed sourcetree from the authorized apps and go it re-authorized

As of this moment after 2 days no progress.

lesomeguy May 25, 2021

Try using the App Passwords.  Log into Bitbucket, click on your profile icon at the bottom-left corner, select "Personal Settings".  Once your settings page show up, select "App Passwords" under the "Access Management" menu.

App-Password.jpg

Create a password for each instance of Source Tree.  Once completed, go back to Source Tree.  Access Tools > Options > Authentication > Accounts.

Select your account, edit it, reenter your credential by use "Basic" authentication.  Once prompted, enter the password you just created via App Passwords on the web.

Authenticate.jpg

I don't know why OAuth and my Atlassian accounts both fail with the latest version of Source Tree.  The only way I have been able to get it to work is by using the method described above.

Sometimes it still failed, I had to perform a clean uninstall and reinstall Source Tree.  I think it has something to do with the credential helper, but I wasn't willing to try which combination of configuration works.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events