Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"remote: Invalid username or password & fatal: Authentication failed" When Cloning into Repo

Chris Larsen May 7, 2019

I just got set up with a managed account from a gmail account at work, I am trying to clone the initial repo to get started locally but when I do git clone and enter my password it says;

remote: Invalid username or password

fatal: Authentication failed...

I have logged in and out of my bitbucket account through the browser multiple times and I do have access to the repo. 

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great as I have spent quite some time on this and none of the answers from the web are working.

3 answers

1 accepted

18 votes
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 8, 2019

Hi Chris, welcome to the Community!

Your Google credentials will not work in this case, for the command line you need to create an App Password. To do so, go to https://bitbucket.org/account/user/<your-username>/app-passwords (remember to replace <your-username> with your actual username) and click on 'Create app password'. You can learn more about it at Bitbucket App passwords.

Let us know if this helped you :) 

Best regards,

Ana

Chris Larsen May 9, 2019

Thank you so much Ana, that was it.

Pramod Kumar T G November 7, 2019

Hi Ana, My google credentials used to work perfectly fine until I changed the computer and attempted to clone from sourcetree on the new computer. The link in your response above is no longer active. Please advice me. thanks

Like Aidar likes this
Like hbutt likes this
GenRv March 25, 2021

Thanks!!!

Deepvirender Kaur July 21, 2021

Thanks Ana it worked 

Rajnish P Sinha August 1, 2021

Thanks Ana Retamal, It works. I made app password and it worked.

0 votes
Neal Ryan Cruickshank January 11, 2022

why is this such a story.................. application is dog slow, user interface doesnt lead you on the right track to anything, NOTHING WORKS, geez man. such a struggle to do ones job cuz i must use your software

0 votes
January 7, 2021

so how to let  goolge could be credentials and than work 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events