push from sourcetree failed - fixed problem - now says no changes to push

I had forgotten that I moved from a local server to Bitbucket for my remote repository.  I performed a commit using SourceTree with "push changes immediately to default" checked.  The commit worked but the push failed.

I fixed the destination path to point to the proper Bitbucket repository.  I clicked on push but got the message "no changes to push".  When I check the repository on Bitbucket, I can see that the source files were not updated.

What gives?  I'm stuck with changes on my local repository but I cannot push them to Bitbucket.

I am trying to push to 

https://bcrow@bitbucket.org/jenike/scan-namer-and-filer-utility

the error message I get says "repository is unrelated"

It looks like I may have caused the problem by copying the original files to a second folder, editing the files in that folder, moving the original files to a folder for obsolete files, then renaming the copy to the original name.

I have created a second repository to take up where the first one left off.

If someone knows a way to avoid this mess in the future, I would appreciate any tips.

1 answer

If you've changed config relating to your remote, make sure you've done a successful Fetch.

Then try right-clicking on the branch in question, and go to "Track remote branch >", then find the appropriate branch from the Bitbucket remote.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jun 12, 2018 in Bitbucket

Do you use any Atlassian products for your personal projects?

After spinning my wheels trying to get organized enough to write a book for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) I took my affinity for Atlassian products from my work life and decided to tr...

23,297 views 26 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you