Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not receiving verification email on a microsoft account (outlook.com)

hanan October 10, 2021

Hi

I'm trying to create a new account using an outlook.com email account and I am not receiving the verification email.

I've checked and rechecked, it is not in the Junk Email folder either, and the email account is active (able to send and receive emails)

2 answers

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 12, 2021

Hi @hanan,

Could you please confirm whether this new account is a Bitbucket Cloud account (https://bitbucket.org/)?

If so, it is possible that the email is in a suppression list (it might have ended up there if we attempted to send an email to that email address, but the email address was not operational at that time).

We can check if that's the case and remove the email address from the suppression list, but we'd need to know which email address it is.

I can see that the community account you posted from has an email from a different domain.
If you could
- Log in to https://community.atlassian.com/ using the "Continue with Microsoft" option and the email that has this issue
- Then, while you are logged in to this account, leave a reply here in this post

I will then be able to view the email of that account, check if it's any of the suppression lists and if so, remove it.
I suggest the steps above so that you don't post the email here publicly.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Bar Ilan Cyber Center October 12, 2021

Thank you @Theodora 

I am leaving this reply from the @outlook.com account

please let me know if the email issue has been resolved.

if so, can I re-register with a password (instead of logging in with the "Continue with Microsoft" option)

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 12, 2021

Hi @Bar Ilan Cyber Center,

Thank you for your reply.

I can see that the email of this account was indeed in a suppression list because we attempted to send an email and we received a hard bounce response from the mail server with the error

550: 550 5.5.0 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

I went ahead and removed it, so you should be able to receive emails from Bitbucket and Atlassian now.

A few things to note:

- This email shows as 'verified' in our system now, I assume because you used the option "Continue with Microsoft", so there is no need to do anything to verify it.

- In order to set up a password for the account (and be able to log in with email+password instead of the Microsoft option), you can request a password reset email via the following link:
https://id.atlassian.com/login/resetpassword

You will then receive an email in your Inbox, if you follow the link in that email you'll be able to set a password (with no need to enter any current password).

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Theodora

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2021

You'll need to look at the outlook.com logs to find out why it is loosing your email, or, if you're on server, at the mail logs for bitbucket (if you're on Cloud, it's not on the Atlassian side, it definitely does deliver mail to outlook.com addresses)

hanan October 10, 2021

there are no logs

I was able to create the account using the option "sign in with microsoft"
So, problem solved... sort of ... the email verification should work as well

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events