is the git username required for doing a clone via ssh?

Robbin Bonthond
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2014

on unix it seems the "git@" notation part of the git clone command isn't needed, but I'm hearing from other people on windows7 that they need to add this username part when doing clones via putty...

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Robbin Bonthond
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2014

when using git (1.9.4.msysgit.2) on windows, and using plink (0.63) for ssh transport, then it's plink who needs a username, as opposed to openssh.

One way around this is to change the putty “Default Settings”:
• Connection > Data : “Use system username”
• Connection > SSH > Auth : “Private Key file for authentication” (if you don't want to use pageant)

Be sure to save this in Putty, and plink will use those defaults.

That make the git clone via plink work for me again without having to specify “git@” in the URL.

0 votes
ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 6, 2014

Hi Robbin,

The validation is done through the access key. This has been answered by one of our developers on the question below:

See the example below:

$ git push ssh://userDoesntMatter@localhost:7999/test/repotest3.git
To ssh://userDoesntMatter@localhost:7999/test/repotest3.git
   4d15880..da015bb  master -> master

In order to enable SSH, please follow all the steps outlined in the document below:

I hope that it clarifies your question.

Best regards,
Thiago Bomfim
Atlassian Support

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events