Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to restrict branches to merge code to master branch on bitbucket cloud

yuttarwar June 21, 2021

Hi All,

We are planning to restrict  branches to merge code to master branch, so could someone help us to share the steps.

Our requirements:

1. Only feature and bugfix branch can be merged in development branch.

2, Only development and hotfix can be merged into master.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 23, 2021

Hi @yuttarwar and welcome to the community.

I'm afraid that this is not possible at the moment in Bitbucket Cloud.

The branch permissions we have available allow you to prevent some or all users from pushing to a certain branch, require a pull request to merge into a branch, and more that is mentioned in this documentation page. However, it is not possible to restrict that only certain branches can be merged into another branch.

We have the following feature request in our issue tracker:

I believe this is what you are looking for? If so, I would suggest that you add your vote in the feature request ticket (by selecting the Vote for this issue link) as the number of votes helps the development team and product managers better understand the demand for new features. You are more than welcome to leave any feedback, and you can also add yourself as a watcher (by selecting the Start watching this issue link) if you'd like to get notified via email on updates.

Implementation of new features is done as per our policy here and any updates will be posted in the feature request.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Sebastian Dietrich June 25, 2023

Unfortunately https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-15394 was closed some weeks after this request (due to inactivity). IMHO wrongly, since every team using a separate develop and main branch besides other (e.g. feature-)branches needs such a feature.

Like Akif Farhan likes this
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 27, 2023

Hi Sebastian,

Thank you for the feedback.

There is a note in the feature request comments explaining the closure.

You are more than welcome to leave a comment even in closed feature requests to express your interest, as our product managers continue to monitor them.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events