how to remove duplicate SSH key from old account?

iyappan24 March 26, 2021

Hi guys, 

I was using bitbucket and its features back in 2018 for a project in my old firm.  The email that I have used was the outlook email that I was given to me by the firm. I was using my personal Laptop ( as it was a startup ). My personal Laptops SSH is still in that account.

Currently, I have created a project and repository in bitbucket and trying to add my SSH for cloning and the following error is coming : 

Someone has already added that SSH key to another account.

I ran this command in my terminal to see the account which is linked to my SSH. The result was the following : 

logged in as iyappan_office

I know for a fact that I cannot recover this account, because I am no longer associated with that firm and I cannot use that email ID anymore as it does not exist. 

But I want to add my SSH key to my new account and project and remove this ssh key from the previous account ! How do I do it? 

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2021

Hi @iyappan24 ,

At the moment, the only way to remove an SSH key from an account is either via the UI after you log in to the account, or with an API call. Both ways require knowing the account's password, or, for the API call, an app-password could be used that has appropriate permissions.

If you still remember the account's password, I believe you should be able to log in even if the email is inactive, and remove the SSH key.

If you don't remember the password or an app-password of this account, then I'm afraid that you'll need to use a different SSH key for your new account.

We have a feature request for the ability to remove an account's SSH key via an SSH command (if the private key is present on the machine):

I would suggest that you add your vote (by selecting the Vote for this issue link) as the number of votes helps the development team and product managers better understand the demand for features. You are more than welcome to leave any feedback, and you can also add yourself as a watcher (by selecting the Start watching this issue link) if you'd like to get notified via email on updates. Implementation of features is done as per our policy here and any updates will be posted in the feature request.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events