how to recover accidently deleted file

Muhammad Umair March 29, 2016

I was about to commit a file . But i accidentally deleted that file. How can i recover it. It was very important file because it was controller file

2 answers

0 votes
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2016

As Gabrielle Bautista says, if you never committed the file, then you need to recover it like you would any other deleted file on your workstation, such as pulling it out of the trashcan or recycling bin or what not or recovering it from backups.

If you did previously commit the file, the above might still be your best option to recover any changes you've made to it since commit.  But you can at least definitely retrieve it from the previous commit using 

git checkout <branch_name_or_commit_id> <file_name>

Assuming you're working on the master branch, haven't committed since the last commit that contained the file, and the file was named foo.bar, it would be like this:

git checkout master foo.bar

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2016

Where did you delete the file? In your local environment? If so, this question has nothing to do with Bitbucket server and the answer to your question is to check if your environment keeps deleted files somewhere or if you have backups.

The other side of the question here is if you have deleted a file that is already in git which the answer is easy since it's already in version control and the internet is full of answers about it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events