how to put existing project under source control

Deleted user August 9, 2015

Hi,

Can anyone give me a workflow for adding an existing project to SourceTree and connecting to a remote repo on Bitbucket?  I seem to have tried everything.

I am confused by the Clone/New dialog.  What I have is a local project already under local source control (courtesy of Visual Studio), but the clone dialog seems to assume that a clone operation is always going to be going the other way - i.e. cloning a remote repository onto the local machine.  If I try this, it says it cannot clone into my local folder because the folder is not empty (which does make sense).

I dearly want to start using Git because it seems to be outstanding, but I'm really struggling to find any workflows that work with Visual Studio.  Any help at all would be very much appreciated.

Kind wishes ~ Patrick

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2015

To start with, use the "Add Working Copy" tab in the Clone/New dialog.

This question might have helpful information about getting the repo to bitbucket: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/23763631

It sounds like that user has put their bitbucket credentials into SourceTree for extended integration, which I've not used.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events