Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to 'lock' a branch during build process

Jennifer Schuch December 11, 2013

We need to 'lock' our branch_dev during the nightly build process. This is to prevent any merges during build time because if build is successful, that code line is then merged into a branch_int, at which point the branch_dev can then be 'unlocked'.

I thought I'd use the stash cli and test doing this with the updateBranchPermissions, but I get a java lang exception:

I put the wrong output, below is the correct stash cli I passed and it's output:

stash --action updateBranchPermissions --project "SCOT" --repository "ScottTestRep" --id "5" --branch "branch_dev" --userId "33"

Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx512M

Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

I can't find any error being reported in the stash logs. Am I doing something incorrect?

In short, build starts, have our jenkins builder account have branch permissions. Build is over, update branch permissions to the original branch users.

If there is a better way to about this, please let me know.

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Adam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 12, 2013
I'm not sure about the error you're seeing. I'm guessing you're using the CLI from Bob Swift? It may be best to note issues on the marketplace page so it can be fixed. However, I expect you might be better served by using an intermediate branch. You can restrict access permanently to a pattern like automated_builds/** then before a build, create a branch off of branch_dev like automated_builds/branch_dev. You can then merge that branch to branch_int. This has the added protection of guaranteeing that no long-running pushes are hanging on after you change permissions. (I may be spitting FUD, but this is something I'd be afraid of with your suggested approach). You can delete the branch when the build is over. There may be better ways to do this (hopefully others can chime in) , but this would be my first approach. Good luck!
Jennifer Schuch December 12, 2013

Thank you for that idea. I didn't even think of pushes in progress. 'll give that a try.

0 votes
thinksabin August 9, 2017

hi,

does we have answer to this issue or a best approach to perform this branch lock?

thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events