how do I keep files in a commit from being part of a merge

I'm using SourceTree and would like to merge a commit from staging back to master.  However, there are a few files in the commit that shouldn't be merged. I can't see where SourceTree allows me to mark the files to not merge. 

How can I do this?  I'd like it to be a permanent marking, so I don't accidentally merge them in the future.

Thanks!

2 answers

0 vote
Mikael Sandberg Community Champion Nov 01, 2016

Git does not allow you to select specific files that should be part of the merge, it is all or nothing. What you can do is create a new branch, check it out, and then use

git checkout source_branch <file_path> ...

The source branch is your staging and then specify the files that you want to merge into master. Once done, merge the branch with master and you should be all set.

This type of advanced usage can't be done in SourceTree. You'll have to drop to command line.

If you have files that should never be merged between branches, you should reconsider whether they should be tracked in the repository at all.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jun 12, 2018 in Bitbucket

Do you use any Atlassian products for your personal projects?

After spinning my wheels trying to get organized enough to write a book for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) I took my affinity for Atlassian products from my work life and decided to tr...

155 views 19 8
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you