git-svn clone fails with "RA layer request failed: REPORT of '/svn/repository/!svn/me':"

We want to move to BitBucket, but we're not succeeding at cloning our repo

The full error message:
"RA layer request failed: REPORT of '/svn/repository/!svn/me': Could not read response body: Secure connection truncated (https:myserverurl) at /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/share/git-core/perl/Git/SVN/Ra.pm line 290."

Already tried "git svn fetch"
We've already tried to use the fetch command to resume the process, but it's happening VERY frequently. A dev from my team adapted a script he found online, which requested 10 commits at a time, to request 2 commits at at a time - we are still running into this problem

We need another solution
We have an SVN repository of 100k+ commits, and this is not a workable situation.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

Seems like there are 4 or 5 relevant results here.

It's almost certain the issue is on SVN's side, not Bitbucket's.

Thanks for responding, Seth.  As I generally don't like wasting people's time, we had already looked at web searches and the suggested actions.

All the responses we've seen are basically 'persevere' - with 105k revs in the repository, persevering is not an option with which we are comfortable, since such a bumpy process does not fill us with a sense of confidence about the integrity of the resulting Git repository.

This is not a BitBucket issue, it appears to be a git svn issue. It does not appear to be a network issue (pipe size, https) or anything else we can identify.  Our SVN server is simply responding to git svn requests, the work of writing the clone repository is presumably being done by the local machine.

Thanks for directing me to the google search that brought me to this page, Seth. You're extremely helpful.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Piotr Plewa
Published Dec 27, 2017 in Bitbucket

Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it. I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda&nbsp...

630 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot