Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

git push to bitbucket.org fails due to OpenSSL errors

Edited

Hello,

I and many of my coworkers have problems pushing and pulling from bitbucket.org. The error is:

OpenSSL SSL_connect: Connection was aborted in connection to bitbucket.org:443 

Another similar error we get is:

OpenSSL SSL_read: Connection was reset, errno 10054

Is this a known issue? Does anyone know what's wrong?

Best regards

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark C Atlassian Team Sep 20, 2021

Hi @Andrin Meier

Thank you for reaching out to the community.

Based on the error message you're getting, it seems that you're unable to connect to Bitbucket.org via port 443.
To verify this further, can you try to do a telnet command against Bitbucket.org?

telnet bitbucket.org 443

Also, would it be possible for you to confirm if you're able to access the site https://bitbucket.org/ in your browser?

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Mark C

telnet works, visiting bitbucket.org in the browser works as well. We have also confirmed that it is not a firewall problem. The same problem appeared just today on a coworker's laptop without going through the firewall. This problem happens not only with HTTPS but also with SSH. It usually works after trying a few times. Is there something else we could check? It doesn't seem to be a problem on our end, unless it has something to do with our ISP?

Mark C Atlassian Team Sep 22, 2021

Hi @Andrin Meier

Got it.

Could you check if you're connecting to Bitbucket.org through an IPv6 connection?

You can check this by cloning your repository with the debug commands below:

Git Bash / Linux:

GIT_TRACE_PACKET=1 GIT_TRACE=1 GIT_SSH_COMMAND="ssh -v" GIT_CURL_VERBOSE=1 git clone <your repository URL>

Find the specific log about:

* Connected to bitbucket.org (SOME_IP_HERE) port 443 (#0)

SOME_IP_HERE could be IPv4 or IPv6 format

If you're connecting via IPv6, can you try enforcing the Ipv4 connection instead by adding the flag --ipv4 in your Git commands?

E.g.

git clone --ipv4 <some repo URL>
git push --ipv4

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Mark C

I've run your command and it looks like we're already connecting through IPv4 unfortunately. Is there anything else we could try?

Mark C Atlassian Team Sep 27, 2021

Hi @Andrin Meier

Got it.
In this case, would you be able to try to connect with a different ISP/network connection and see if it is also happening there?

Regards,
Mark C

It does seem to only happen with one specific ISP. We'll investigate further.

Hi,

I have a similar issue trying to push to Bitbucket from Source Tree. 

I followed this link to successfully add an app password in Source Tree. It displayed a green check with 'authentication OK'.

https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/app-passwords/?utm_source=alert-email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bbc-login-deprecation_EML-12079&jobid=105398046&subid=1521213750

However, when I tried to push to Bitbucket. I got the following error.

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false --no-optional-locks push -v --tags origin <my branch package>
fatal: unable to access '<my repo URL>': OpenSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to bitbucket.org:443
Pushing to<my repo URL>
Completed with errors, see above.

I tried the following command you suggested.

GIT_TRACE_PACKET=1 GIT_TRACE=1 GIT_SSH_COMMAND="ssh -v" GIT_CURL_VERBOSE=1 git clone <my repo URL>

I got the following error.

* Connected to bitbucket.org (104.192.141.1) port 443 (#0)
* ALPN, offering http/1.1
* Cipher selection: ALL:!EXPORT:!EXPORT40:!EXPORT56:!aNULL:!LOW:!RC4:@STRENGTH
* successfully set certificate verify locations:
* CAfile: C:/Program Files/Git/mingw64/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
CApath: none
* OpenSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to bitbucket.org:443
* Closing connection 0
fatal: unable to access '<my repo url>': OpenSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to bitbucket.org:443

Any thoughts on why the authentication is OK but I cannot push to my repo?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Git push size limits are coming to Bitbucket Cloud starting April 4th, 2022

Beginning on April 4th, we will be implementing push limits. This means that your push cannot be completed if it is over 3.5 GB. If you do attempt to complete a push that is over 3.5 GB, it will fail...

2,225 views 2 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you