git pull not working (ssh problem) since today

welldi November 16, 2020

Is it only me or do other people have this problem?

Today the Certificates on the bitbucket servers seem to have changed for me (or IP addresses?). I had to allow the new ones. But even when doing that I cannot login. I get this:

Received disconnect from 18.205.93.2 port 22:2: Connection blocked because server only allows public key authentication. Please contact your network administrator.

Note that I had to allow multiple different Certs in the meantime, it seems to change.

My Cert is configured on bitbucket and worked for 2 years.

Doing a direct ssh connection I get this:

debug1: rekey after 134217728 blocks
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: rekey after 134217728 blocks
debug1: Will attempt key: /home/welldi/.ssh/id_rsa RSA SHA256:NmRFKBdZ0g5/c4HpSRgFs5McP2BU4bpyR1HoWYQc1DU
debug1: Will attempt key: /home/welldi/.ssh/id_dsa
debug1: Will attempt key: /home/welldi/.ssh/id_ecdsa
debug1: Will attempt key: /home/welldi/.ssh/id_ed25519
debug1: Will attempt key: /home/welldi/.ssh/id_xmss
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT received
Received disconnect from 18.205.93.2 port 22:2: Connection blocked because server only allows public key authentication. Please contact your network administrator.
Disconnected from 18.205.93.2 port 22

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 16, 2020

Hi @welldi ,

Based on the following message in the output:

it looks that something in your local network is blocking the connection.

Perhaps not all Bitbucket IPs are whitelisted. I've also seen similar issues reported from users and usually the culprit was a firewall or some network-intrusion prevention software.

My suggestion would be to contact your network admin and ask if there were any network changes that could affect connections to Bitbucket Cloud, and also make sure that all Bitbucket IPs are whitelisted:

Kind regards,
Theodora

welldi November 16, 2020

We solved it in the meantime. Our IT provider turned on deep packed inspection on SSH, so it did a real man-in-the-middle attack on the connection which meant client cert auth was not working.

They turned it off now and it works again.

Thanks

Like Theodora Boudale likes this
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 16, 2020

Good to hear that this is resolved, thank you for the update.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events