Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

git gc request for binary cleanup

brianjaod September 19, 2022

Can you please run git gc on my private repos? Despite my commit rewrites to remove the large binaries, they're currently still showing an overly large size. Specifically, the A****07 repo.

Thanks,

Brian

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2022

Hi, @brianjaod, thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community. 

We have run a GC against the repository you mentioned and we were able to reduce its size from 627.1 MB to 2.4 MB. Could you please confirm if there is any other repository you need to run a GC? 

Let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns regarding this case. 

Kind regards,
Caroline

brianjaod September 20, 2022

@Caroline R that worked great, thanks! In the future, is there a better or more efficient way to handle this scenario of you guys running gc on your end? It seems that creating community questions is not very efficient, compared to a "Run GC" button on the repo dashboard or something ... Just my $0.02

Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 22, 2022

Hi @brianjaod, thanks for your confirmation! 

To give you some context around the git GC process, Bitbucket triggers a garbage collection on the repository after each push, however aggressive GC is triggered by Git once the unreachable/dangling objects become older than 30 days.

For this reason, there is no need for us to trigger a manual GC for your repositories, however, we are happy to run it for you if you feel there is a need. 

We already have a feature request (current status "in progress") to allow users to mark repositories for git GC, as you can check here:

Please consider adding yourself as a watcher to receive the updates as we make progress with this. If you are not familiar with our Feature Request Policy, you can read more about it here.

I hope this helps, but do let me know if you have any questions. 

Kind regards,
Caroline

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events