Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

git gc on remote repo after using BFG-cleaner

qifan.wang
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 16, 2020

Hi there,

My team's repo size exceed 1.0GB and I was successfully reduced its size to 490.1 MB. However, after I push the cleaned bare repo up, it moved those big blobs on remote to unreachable commit instead of removing them.

After some research, I found BitBucket admin has the ability to run a 'git gc' command on the remote repo to collect and clean those unreachable commits. Is that the only way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 16, 2020

Hello @qifan.wang,

As this guide suggests, you'd need to open a support case with us to force trigger GC. However, in your case it's not that important as 1 GB is a soft limit, i.e. you get a warning but can keep working with the repository just as normal. GC will eventually kick in and remove that large blob.

You didn't mention the repo in question so I took a guess which one you meant and ran GC for it which reduced its size significantly.

If that wasn't the right one, please proceed with opening a support case.

Cheers,
Daniil

qifan.wang
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 16, 2020

Hi Daniil, your guess is correct and thank you so much for the quick turnaround!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events