git LFS, Reverse Proxy, and HTTPS Edited

I have an nginx reverse proxy that has been running bitbucket for over a year now (on https://git.example.com and ssh://gitssh.example.com:7999). I just created a new instance of Bitbucket that has git lfs enabled (I didn't put LFS on the old instance because LFS is experimental for us now, and I didn't want to mess up production--turned out to be a good decision).

We setup the new instance and got it working (http://gitlfs:7990 and ssh://gitlfs:7999), and was verified using the following commands to download a 80MB file

git clone ssh://git@gitlfs:7999/proj/repo.git
cd repo
# Setup LFS
git lfs install
git config filter.lfs.smudge "git-lfs smudge --skip %f"
git config filter.lfs.process "git-lfs filter-process --skip"

# Check out the branch with a lot of files
git checkout origin/develop

# Pull a single file
git lfs pull -I "File80MB.bin"

Everything worked fine. It was quick. Great.

So now we want to move it to that it uses HTTPS, which goes through the aforementioned nginx reverse proxy. I updated things one-by-one. 

• Change SSH base URL to gitlfsssh.example.com (still works)
  • Disable HTTP(S) (just a test, stops working, then re-enabled)
  • Edit server.xml to match reverse proxy to gitlfs.example.com (get warnings because server.xml and URL don't match)
  • Edit HTTP base URL to gitlfs.example.com (warnings go away, BUT)

The BUT is that when I repeat the steps above, the `git lfs pull -I "File80MB.bin"` is now extremely slow. Slow to the point that it seems to lock up the bitbucket server for some time. In fact, the progress bar tends to overshoot if I wait long enough:

Git LFS: (1 of 1 files) 97.15 MB / 81.02 MB

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? Not being able to route through the reverse proxy greatly inhibits our ability to move git-lfs to production.

Thanks in advance

1 answer

Turns out it was a bad ethernet cable. ::Phew:: That was a weird one. 

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Marketplace Apps

Tips on how to choose the best estimation method for your planning

Planning and grooming sessions all come with their own sets of rules. Team members meet to estimate stories or other work items, all according to an agreed-upon process. And with every session comes ...

63 views 0 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you