external database

How do i manually configure external Database for Stash. I cant use DB wizard on the stage and prod database. Did not find the documentation around this.

2 answers

0 vote

Hi Anoop,

The documentation below plus using the wizard should be enough to help you configure Stash with an external database. No manual intervention is required:

Connecting Stash to an external database

Which kind of error are you getting?

Best regards,
Thiago Bomfim
Atlassian Support - DevTools

HI Thiago,

On the sandbox env, i was able to configure external DB(oracle) just fine. All is good. However, for STAGE and PROD i wont have access to database directly hence the wizard for configuring external DB wont work from Stash admin screen.

What is the alternate way, that DBAs can take to create required user with all the required objects that we would connect from STASH.

Anoop, thanks for clarifying. I wrote a new answer to you.

0 vote

Hi Anoop,

I think I get you. If you configured your sandbox environment just fine using the UI, you can:

• Of course, take a backup of your instances (PROD and STAGING) before applying these changes. Refer to https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASH/Using+the+Stash+Backup+Client for details on how to backup your instance.
  • I recommend you test the database connection from your vendor external database application connection tool before applying that to Stash. Make sure you can connect to your PROD and STAGING databases first.
  • Connect to your sandbox and retrieve the following configuration:

$ cat $STASH_HOME/shared/stash-config.properties

If you are in a version prior to Stash 3.2, please use the following path instead:

$ cat $STASH_HOME/stash-config.properties
  • Look into the following parameters that have been automatically configured by Stash when you used the wizard in the UI:

jdbc.driver=
    jdbc.url=
    jdbc.user=
    jdbc.password=
  • These parameters are documented here:
  • On your STAGE environment replicate the configuration below:
    • Stop your instance
    • If there the $STASH_HOME/shared/stash-config.properties doesn't exist, create one.
    • Configure with the same jdbc.driver value as the one seen above. Change the jdbc.url, jdbc.user and jdbc.password according to the database you've created for your STAGE environment
    • Start your instance

Let me know if this information helped you!

Best regards,
Thiago Bomfim
Atlassian Support - DevTools

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jun 12, 2018 in Bitbucket

Do you use any Atlassian products for your personal projects?

After spinning my wheels trying to get organized enough to write a book for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) I took my affinity for Atlassian products from my work life and decided to tr...

174 views 20 8
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you