Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download entire repository without logging in!!????!!!?!?!

Jordan Thompson January 31, 2015

So I just found out that you can get the entire repository without logging into bitbucket.  Obviously I don't want that happening.  I have set up SSH keys to use with Git and that works fine. 

How can I prevent anyone from accessing my stuff?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

OK, I'm feeling pretty foolish rightabout now...  It turns out that the browser on the remote machine was logged in already by someone at the keyboard and I didn't notice.  I tried logging them out and repeating the process and it failed (as it rightly should.)

John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2015

You should probably destroy that key and make a new one if it's been transmitted over the network.

0 votes

This is not a key-pair issue:

I was getting ready to set up the keys on another machine (I had nothing configured on that machine at all, not even Git.)  I was remotely connected to this computer from one that was logged into bitbucket.

Without thinking, I copied the url from a file in my download (the private key!) on one computer and pasted it into my browser on the other (that was not set up yet.)  I was able to download the file(!)  So for grins, I copied the URL for the zip file (Download Repository) from the first computer and pasted it into the browser on the second and low and behold, I was able to download the entire contents of my repository without ever logging in!

0 votes
John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2015

Hey there,

When you set up SSH for your Bitbucket account, you're able to use the SSH private key for authentication. This means that it's as important to make sure you keep your private key private as it is to keep your password and username private, combined.

To directly answer your question, you prevent people from accessing your stuff by keeping that private key private. For instance, never, ever transmit the private key over the network; if you ever think your private key is compromised, destroy it, revoke its access, and make a fresh one.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events