can't clone a repo in git bash

Anjana Kapoor June 14, 2021

I am trying to clone my repo from bitbucket to my pc but  when I pasted the URL using git bash it displays message cloning into ' repo name ' and it only creates an empty folder. Not able to resolve it. plz help

1 answer

0 votes
Syahrul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 12, 2022

Hey @Anjana Kapoor 

G'day!

There are multiple reasons that the clone succeeded and the folder is empty let's explore some of them.

Check if there's any content in the folder by using bash to navigate into the folder and run "ls -lah" this will list out all the files even the one hidden. If there's a file then the issue would probably be because the files were hidden so try running "git branch -a" to list out the branch in your repositories and "git checkout the <branchname>" to start working on the branch

Another common issue is that you are using outdated git, so please download and install the latest git then navigate into the folder via terminal and check if git initiates accordingly.

If both didn't work then most likely the issue is with the cloning steps themselves and we may need to further investigate by running the following verbose commands when re-cloning the repositories:
If you use HTTPS:

GIT_TRACE_PACKET=1 GIT_TRACE=1 GIT_CURL_VERBOSE=1 <git clone command>

If you use SSH:

GIT_TRACE_PACKET=1 GIT_TRACE=1 GIT_SSH_COMMAND="ssh -vvv" <git clone command>

Let me know how it goes

Cheers,
Syahrul

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events