Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

can't clone a repo in git bash

Edited

I am trying to clone my repo from bitbucket to my pc but  when I pasted the URL using git bash it displays message cloning into ' repo name ' and it only creates an empty folder. Not able to resolve it. plz help

1 answer

0 votes
Syahrul Atlassian Team Jan 12, 2022

Hey @Anjana Kapoor 

G'day!

There are multiple reasons that the clone succeeded and the folder is empty let's explore some of them.

Check if there's any content in the folder by using bash to navigate into the folder and run "ls -lah" this will list out all the files even the one hidden. If there's a file then the issue would probably be because the files were hidden so try running "git branch -a" to list out the branch in your repositories and "git checkout the <branchname>" to start working on the branch

Another common issue is that you are using outdated git, so please download and install the latest git then navigate into the folder via terminal and check if git initiates accordingly.

If both didn't work then most likely the issue is with the cloning steps themselves and we may need to further investigate by running the following verbose commands when re-cloning the repositories:
If you use HTTPS:

GIT_TRACE_PACKET=1 GIT_TRACE=1 GIT_CURL_VERBOSE=1 <git clone command>

If you use SSH:

GIT_TRACE_PACKET=1 GIT_TRACE=1 GIT_SSH_COMMAND="ssh -vvv" <git clone command>

Let me know how it goes

Cheers,
Syahrul

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Git push size limits are coming to Bitbucket Cloud starting April 4th, 2022

Beginning on April 4th, we will be implementing push limits. This means that your push cannot be completed if it is over 3.5 GB. If you do attempt to complete a push that is over 3.5 GB, it will fail...

2,110 views 2 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you