Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bitbucket skip pipeline based on tag

Vikash Balasubramanian April 21, 2022

Say, I have a tag based pipeline on bitbucket like this

pipelines:
  tags:
    v*:
       - step:

I don't want to run pipelines on PATCH version changes semver.

For example when going from tag v1.0.0 to v1.0.1 I don't want to run pipelines. Pipelines should only run when there is a MINOR or MAJOR change like. v1.0.0 to v1.1.0 or v2.0.0.

How do I do this?

Is there a [skip ci] equivalent when pushing tags to indicate I don't want pipeline to run for this tag?

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 25, 2022

Hi @Vikash Balasubramanian,

[skip ci] cannot be used during push but in a commit message.

You can include [skip ci] in the commit message of commits with a tag that you don't want to trigger the pipeline for, and the pipeline will be skipped when you push the tags.

In your example, include [skip ci] in the commit message of the commit with tag v1.0.1

Please note that if you have additional pipelines, e.g. a default pipeline or a branch pipeline, these will not get triggered either for the commit that has [skip ci] in its commit message.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Vikash Balasubramanian April 25, 2022

Hi just to clarify,

If I do a commit message like:

[skip ci] This commit message will have tag v1.0.1

And do a git tag v1.0.1 and git push --tags no pipeline will be triggered? Is this documented somewhere?

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2022

Hi @Vikash Balasubramanian,

This is correct, no pipelines builds will get triggered for the commit that has [skip ci] in its commit message.

The [skip ci] feature is documented here:

Can I commit without triggering the pipeline?

Yes. If you don't want to run a pipeline on a commit that would normally trigger one, you can include [skip ci] or [ci skip] anywhere in your commit message of the HEAD commit. Any commits that include [skip ci] or [ci skip] in the message are ignored by Pipelines.

No pipelines builds will get triggered for the [skip ci] commit, regardless of whether they are tag, default, or branch-based builds.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events