bitbucket-pipelines, pull-request vs merge

Joseph Balden May 29, 2019

I am trying to use bitbucket-pipelines to test and in a separate step deploy,

When a pull-request is created I want to run unit tests. I see that I can do this with the pull-requests feature.

When the code is merged, I want to create a zip and deploy (copy) code to s3

How do I trigger a step when the code is merged?  Not when the pull-request is created.

Do I need to use tags?

1 answer

0 votes
Philip Hodder
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2019

Hello Joseph,

For the workflow you're mentioning, you can use branch pipelines.

For example:

pipelines:
branches:
master:
- step:
script:
- # Create zip and deploy to s3.
pull-requests:
feature-branch-*:
- step:
script:
- # Run unit tests

In this configuration, the zip creation and deployment will only happen when a new commit is introduced to the master branch. i.e. Whenever a feature branch is merged to master. 

It is possible to use tags. But that doesn't sound like it's a part of your current workflow, so it isn't necessary to introduce if you don't need them.

Does that work for you?

Thanks,

Phil

Max DeCurtins October 29, 2021

@Philip Hodder The branch pipeline on `master` isn't really a solution for us, because we can't just run the pipeline willy-nilly on any commit to `master`; we need to know something about how that commit originated. Consider:

When a PR from a `release/*` branch is merged into `master`, I would like to run an action that:

1. Deletes the `release/release-{#}` branch (yes, I know PRs offer the option to close the source branch on merge, but I don't want to leave that up to a human to remember to check that option)
  2. Increments a repository variable representing the release number,
  3. Creates a new `release/release-{#}` branch

I can't hook this action to any commit to `master`, because a hotfix could come in that gets deployed to `master`, and I wouldn't want that change to trigger the release branch-related workflow.

Any suggestions?

Thanks 

Like # people like this
Darius Bogdan February 8, 2022

@Max DeCurtins I am looking to do a flow similar to the one described by you. Did you find any solution?

Like # people like this
kr_rohit May 2, 2022

@Philip Hodder, any workaround to achieve this? 

Like Michael Mersiades likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events