Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bitbucket.org website is not loading in my system

maheshmn August 29, 2018

From yesterday onwards https://bitbucket.org is not loading. I am getting "The connection has timed out" error. Also when I tried to push/pull from my repo I am getting " Failed to connect to bitbucket.org port 443: Connection timed out" error.

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2018

Hello, @maheshmn and welcome to the Community!

It seems to me like a network-related problem.

What is the result of the following command:

nslookup bitbucket.org

maheshmn August 30, 2018

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply,

Following is the response of nslookup bitbucket.org:

Server:        127.0.1.1
Address:    127.0.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    bitbucket.org
Address: 18.205.93.0
Address: 18.205.93.2
Address: 18.205.93.1

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2018

Can you, please, tell me, from which country are you trying to access this site?

maheshmn August 30, 2018

I am trying to access it from Bangalore , India

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 30, 2018

I tried to access the IP addresses you gave me and faced a "resource is blocked" page. I try this from Russia, though. Nevertheless, my nslookup result differs from yours. So I suggest you update your "host" file locally (at least for a time being) according to the following information:

nslookup bitbucket.org
Addresses: 2406:da00:ff00::22cd:e0db
2406:da00:ff00::22c3:9b0a
2406:da00:ff00::22c0:3470

It may help.

Get back to me with the results.

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 30, 2018

By the way, here're interesting links:

Local (127.0.1.1) DNS resolver ignores LAN DNS server

How do I set my DNS when resolv.conf is being overwritten?

I'm not sure that the problem is there, but it worth checking.

maheshmn August 30, 2018

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your help!

In my host bitbucket was pointed to the older ip address, by changing that it started work again.

Like Hubert Baptiste likes this
Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 30, 2018

You're welcome! Glad it helped!

You may want to mark my answer as "Accepted solution" so that other people with the same or similar problems would find it easily:

Accepted.jpg

Have a nice day! :)

Shashank Hegde July 20, 2020

Server: 192.168.225.1
Address: 192.168.225.1#53

** server can't find bitbucket.org: SERVFAIL

Can someone help

Like rajesh maruti likes this
Shashank July 21, 2020

Same error from today.

Shashank July 21, 2020

This works. Try :

Add this in /etc/hosts

`18.205.93.0 bitbucket.org`

Like # people like this
rahulsonwanshi February 16, 2021

This really helped thanks

Hemendra Sahu June 10, 2021

Thanks Shashank
This really helps.

0 votes
dheerajmarda September 17, 2022

Hello, 

I am not able to visit the bitbucket.org website since last evening.

My current location is Mumbai, India

I ran - nslookup bitbucket.org

Got following results

;; Got recursion not available from 218.248.114.1, trying next server
Server: 218.248.114.65
Address: 218.248.114.65#53

** server can't find bitbucket.org: NXDOMAIN

Update :
My issue is solved there was some issues with my DNS server settings changing it to default helped me. 

0 votes
yiiprogrammer September 27, 2021

This solved for me just now: 

1. Open “Network and Sharing Centre”;
  2. Select “Change adapter settings”;
  3. Locate for your Network Connection provider in “Local Area Connection” or “Wireless Connection” and select “Properties” by right-clicking on the icon;
  4. In the newly opened window, opt for the “Internet Protocol (4 TCP/IPv4)” and click “Properties”;
  5. Mark the “Use the following DNS server addresses” option;
  6. Then, type in 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4;

Credit: https://ugetfix.com/ask/how-to-fix-error-code-dns_probe_finished_nxdomain-problem/

yiiprogrammer September 27, 2021

hope that helps someone.

0 votes
Perry November 5, 2018

So I found the host file but I'm not exactly sure what to update it to. Do I change the local host to my ip address? 

Perry November 5, 2018

Or iso I add a new line of code? Sorry I'm new to all of this 

maheshmn November 5, 2018

Hi Christopher,

Please check your hosts file for an entry for "bitbucket.org". If it is there change the ip address to new one and if not add the below code in hosts and try again.

18.205.93.0 bitbucket.org

Like # people like this
Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2018

@Perridot06

@maheshmn is right. There's nothing difficult. You just need to open this file with the help of any text editor (run as an administrator), add the line "<ip address> bitbucket.org", and save it. That is all. Then you restart the browser and are ready to go.

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2018

Just to add.

You can always check your effective bitbucket.org's IP address the following way:

ping bitbucket.org
Like kosjetstyle likes this
Shashi Dhungel November 27, 2018

By the way adding bitbucket.org and the ip generated through ping did not help my case. I still cannot connect through bitbucket through the ISP at my home. 

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 28, 2018

Hi @Shashi Dhungel,

There's no use in adding IPs generated through ping to hosts. At least not through ping from the same computer.

0 votes
Perry November 5, 2018

Hey Greg, I'm having the exact issue. How did you change the host and pointed to the new ip address? 

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2018

Hi @Perridot06 and welcome to our Community!

Details of this process depend on the operational system you're working on.

Essentially, you need to update your "local DNS" configuration. It's stored in "hosts" file which is to be find by the following paths:

Windows: 

%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Unix-like:

\etc\hosts

%SystemRoot% is usually "C:\Windows"

Open this file and you'll see what to do. Make sure you have local administrator rights. And do not forget to reload the application (e.g  web browser).

Good luck!

Mohan Sundaram March 27, 2019

thanks, working fine
removed that Bitbucket line

0 votes
dhananjayksharma October 13, 2018

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 13, 2018

You're welcome! :)

And welcome to our Community!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events