Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

after os reinstall vs2019 not connected to bitbucket

Kiran_Ranchhod August 3, 2022

I have installed os on a new ssd in dual boot configuration, win10 on both. i have source repos installed on separate drive from oses. on new boot drive i cannot connect to bitbucket repos in vs 2019. i have sourcetree installed and can view repos and see changes. in vs 2019 I cannot see repo detail when viewing git -> manage branches, and cannot view changes in git changes window.

i am still quite new to git and bitbucket, so i may be missing something obvious.

I installed visual studio bitbucket extension but cannot authenticate for some reason.

I tried re-cloning a repo into a different folder. that works and connects to bitbucket, but sadly there are other issues with this approach, and I have some un-commited changes in the repos. I'd like to be able to work on the repos in the folders that I was originally using on the previous os.

Can anyone help me reconnect visual studio to bitbucket again?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kiran_Ranchhod August 4, 2022

After doing more research I've found that this issue is related to the safety features introduced in git 2.35.3. It seems the repos I had been accessing on my other boot drive are not accessible to the new boot drive.

running the command 'git status' on the folder in question gives the response 'git status fatal: unsafe repository (<my source folder> is owned by someone else). Since I am the only user of this machine i chose to run the command 'git config --global --add safe.directory '*''. This command marks all folders as 'safe' so use with caution.

Also I needed to log into the extension with a username, but not my email address, and use the app password that I have been using for my repos. This got me into the BitBucket extension for Visual Studio. I had not been using this extension before so it may not be related to my issue, but after marking everything as safe and logging into the extensions I can now access all the goodness of git and BitBucket on my new os. Hopefully this will help someone in future.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events